EEPROM update

Hi

How can I update the eeprom on the RPi4?

openhabian@openhabHost:~ $ sudo rpi-eeprom-update 
*** UPDATE AVAILABLE ***
BOOTLOADER: update available
   CURRENT: Thu  3 Sep 12:11:43 UTC 2020 (1599135103)
    LATEST: Tue 25 Jan 14:30:41 UTC 2022 (1643121041)
   RELEASE: default (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/default)
            Use raspi-config to change the release.

VL805_FW: Dedicated VL805 EEPROM
     VL805: up to date
   CURRENT: 000138a1
    LATEST: 000138a1
openhabian@openhabHost:~ $ raspi-config 
raspi-config is not part of openHABian, please use openhabian-config instead.
openhabian@openhabHost:~ $

The usual option “02” does not show any update available.

Thanks!
Max

As far as I understand

option “02” is only being used to install packaged on OS level.
To install EEPROM update more is required.
Option 02 first installs the updated EEPROM package ( rpi-eeprom ) which contains the bootloader ( ls -lt /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable/ ).
To finally install the bootloader into the EEPROM there are different ways to achieve this:
These different ways are explained in this article: Updating the Bootloader on a Raspberry Pi - Pi My Life Up.

raspi-config is not available in openhabian distribution as other functionality of raspi-config is built into openhabian-config. Updating the EEPROM seems not to be build into openhabian-config ( at least I was not able to find it in openhabian-config ).

2 Likes

Thanks @Wolfgang_S

It worked w/o glitches.

openhabian@openhabHost:~ $ sudo rpi-eeprom-update 
BOOTLOADER: up to date
   CURRENT: Tue 25 Jan 14:30:41 UTC 2022 (1643121041)
    LATEST: Tue 25 Jan 14:30:41 UTC 2022 (1643121041)
   RELEASE: default (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/default)
            Use raspi-config to change the release.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s worth opening a request in GitHub to add this to openhabian-config?

I honestly hadn’t thought about firmware updates at all for my RPi4. On one hand, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. On the other, it’d be nice to have in case there’s a security issue in the future.

I have the September 2020 firmware, and nothing jumps out as me as absolutely necessary (for my purposes) in the release notes.

@rpwong

I had some HW issues and sometimes an updated firmware might help - it did not in my particular case.

In general it is true - do not touch what works, but some people might benefit of this option. I will file a request, let’s see if it will be picked.

Max

1 Like