Effects of the sunset of Bintray

Hi all,

As Bintray was shut down 2 days ago, we are now experiencing the full impact of it - and it is more that was anticipated. :frowning:
Please use this topic to report any issues that you might encounter - but please also note the posts on solutions for 2.5.x installations as well as for 3.0.x installations.

4 Likes

I’m currently still on openHAB 2.5 and obviously get an error from apt when I periodically check for outdated software packages on my Raspberry Pi 3B+.

Should I also remove the apt repository link to Bintray since it’s apparently gone (403 Forbidden error messages), or should I remove the trusted key from /etc/apt/sources.list?

The solution was already given in the announcements here to download the kar file and place in the addons folder.

Yes. openHABian now should offer to do that for you on start.

1 Like

They did not state they were running OpenHABian.

Running sudo openhabian-config did the trick!

1 Like

There are two errors that come up in relation to this.

1. openHAB errors in the logs failing to download and install any add-on.

2. Error from apt/yum/etc. indicating it cannot download the list of packages from bintray.

Downloading the kar file only fixes 1. To fix 2 one needs to eliminate the link to bintray from the repos used by the package manager (e.g. apt). openHABian has an option to do that for you. For those who ran an apt upgrade prior to May 1st the upgrade did this for you. However, those who failed/did not know to run an upgrade prior to May 1st will still have an entry in their sources list pointing to bintray and running apt update will generate an error.

For the two solutions in openhabian:

1. Where do I put the .kar file?
  2. Where is the userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg : located?

Thanks for you help!

In openHABian you don’t.
It installs the openhab-addons package which contains the .kar and puts it where it’s needed.

Where it has been ever since. But you need not and should not mess with it.

markus@devpc:~ $ env|grep -i DA
OPENHAB_USERDATA=/var/lib/openhab

Hmm…This apparently has not hapened on my RPi 3 Openhabian 2.5…

Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.addons.bundles/org.openhab.binding.mail/[2.5.0,2.6)

2021-06-23 19:13:30.395 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-persistence-mapdb, openhab-ui-homebuilder, openhab-binding-mail, openhab-binding-network, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-misc-ruleengine, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-binding-zwave, openhab-binding-mqtt, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-ntp, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-ui-habmin, openhab-binding-expire1, openhab-ui-paper': Error:

This has occurred after doing an update in the configuration tool.

Is there a way out of this or should I just chuck it and go with OH3?

Version of Openhabian? (not openHAB)

the login screen say OpenHABian openHAB 2.5.12 (Release Build)
Elsewhere on the screen: openHABianPi 4.19.66-v7+ #1253 SMP

Because you have configured OH to download addons (“remote” setting in addons.cfg if I remember correctly). That has nothing to do with openHABian.

if that was set, then it was not recently (at least as recent as my addled old brain can remember…).

And remote=true is commented out in addons.cfg.

So, remote=false might be required?

/var/lib/openhab2/etc directory. So, there is no /var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg

And the only .kar files on the system are:
/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/system/org/apache/karaf/deployer/org.apache.karaf.deployer.kar
/srv/openhab2-sys/runtime/system/org/apache/karaf/deployer/org.apache.karaf.deployer.kar
o

So, it doesn’t appear the system has ever gotten the files locally.

So, setting it to remote=false would do what?

And the corresponding setting in UI ?

that is strange because it is part of the openhab2 deb package.

Ok, don’t know why I didn’t see it before. But, the find command does find it. I’m getting lost, I guess.

find / -iname '*.mvn.cfg' 2>/dev/null
/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg
/srv/openhab2-userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg

After I updated the config, cleaned cache and tmp and restarted, the config file looks like:
org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.repositories = https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release@id=openhab,https://jcenter.bintray.com/@id=jcenter,https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release@id=openhab@snapshots

and I still get the error:

Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.addons.bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/[2.5.0,2.6)
2021-06-24 16:16:46.477 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-misc-market, openhab-voice-marytts, openhab-misc-openhabcloud, openhab-ui-habot, openhab-binding-serial1, openhab-binding-weather1, openhab-binding-alarmdecoder1, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-binding-zwave, openhab-binding-mqtt1, openhab-binding-shelly, openhab-binding-chromecast, openhab-binding-mqtt, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-action-mail, openhab-binding-openweathermap, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-ui-paper’: Error:
Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.addons.bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/[2.5.0,2.6)

Any more troubleshooting pointers?