Effects of the sunset of Bintray

The certificate is created by Let’s encrypt.
Their bot does a DNS lookup end up at jfrog.io … so the normal bot procedure will not install the certificate.

No because the certificate is issued to jfrog. The browser will see that you went to opebnhab.org and not jfrog.io and see that the certificate doesn’t match. Certificates are used to verify the identity of websites and they are based on domain name. If you could create your own DNS record and use some other web site’s certificates then certificates would be worthless. Their whole reason for being is to provide proof that when you access jfrog.io that you are talking to the one and only jfrog.io. But you went to openhab.org and got a certificate issued to jfrog.io. openhab.org isn’t jfrog.io so any reasonable TLS client is going to refuse to connect with a scary warning about someone trying to run a man-in-the-middle attack or something like that.

The only way to make this work is to in fact run a man-in-the-middle. In that case the clients would connect to openhab.org and we’d have our own certificate so that connection is fine. Then our server would connect to jfrog.io. That can be made to work but it’s significantly more involved than buying a DNS record and pointing it at jfrog.io. It’s also a little shady in practice and raises some red flags because it eliminates the end-to-end encryption. Instead of being encrypted from your host to jfrog.io where the artifacts reside the encryption is broken at openhab.org and then a new encrypted channel is opened to jfrog.io.

But if we set up our own server to do that, why not just host the artifacts on our servers in the first place?

It worked because you didn’t change the domains, you created a subdomain. And then you reacquired the certificates afterwords which probably wasn’t completely necessary if your domain name in fact did not change. The certificate is tied to the domain name, not the IP address so you can move the certificate between machines and as long as you use the same domain name all is fine.

What will not work is setting up a DNS record that points to a different domain because the certificate is tied to the domain. You can’t go to openhab.org and have the connection use a jfrog.io certificate, which would necessarily be the case.

DNS redirects won’t work here either because DNS redirects are limited to the same FQDN. You cannot, only through as DNS redirect, have users redirected from openhab.org to jfrog.io. That’s not allowed.

The only way to make something like this work is if we set up our own server. Then it becomes a question of whether it’s more trouble to do HTTP redirects and/or a TLS man-in-the-middle or just host the artifacts ourselves. I suspect that the fact that we are not hosting the artifacts ourselves points to the fact that it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

This particular problem has only occurred once in all the time I’ve been using OH, so it’s not a problem that occurs with any frequency.

NOTE: While I would not call myself an expert on DNS, I do know a whole lot about it as I need to understand this stuff for my job.

By default, never installed to begin with. That’s why it went off to fetch each add-on from a remote site. Meant to save unwanted bloat on your installed system.

All, ive updated the file to point to the new online respository (added JCentre), but its still trying to download bindings from here:

Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.addons.bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/[2.5.0,2.6)

This post, says we update this: org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.repositories but of course its not working.

How do we get around this? Right now I cant install anything .

Add on management is ON in the UI, as is remote=true in addons.cfg

Give them a clue about the version of openHAB that you are running now.

This only effects 2.x, so 2.5 dont believe it makes a difference.

hilariously, i install paperui manually (using the console and it downloading from the file edited in the start of this post) and then it uninstalls itself. I’m trying to manage bindings etc via Paperui, stuffing around with addons.cfg is the stuff of dark ages.

Cant install ANY bindings though…

18:35:58.219 [ERROR] [.core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-persistence-mapdb, openhab-binding-exec, openhab-misc-openhabcloud, openhab-binding-network, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-binding-amazonechocontrol, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-binding-daikin, openhab-binding-mqtt1, openhab-binding-mqtt, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-ui-classic, openhab-binding-ipcamera, openhab-binding-kodi, openhab-ui-habmin, openhab-transformation-exec, openhab-binding-systeminfo, openhab-ui-paper, openhab-binding-http1, openhab-binding-networkupstools, openhab-misc-market, openhab-transformation-javascript, openhab-transformation-regex, openhab-binding-yamahareceiver, openhab-transformation-jsonpath, openhab-binding-zwave, openhab-binding-doorbird, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-binding-snmp': Error:
        Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.addons.bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/[2.5.0,2.6)
18:35:58.591 [INFO ] [i.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped Dashboard
18:35:58.609 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ExtensionEvent       ] - Extension 'ui-dashboard' has been uninstalled.

Are you using addons.cfg? If so any changes you make through the console will be undone the next time it reads in /etc/openhab2/system/addons.cfg. So you must first clear out addons.cfg. If you are still seeing weird behavior like this the cached version might not have updated correctly. Go to /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab and remove addons.config.

I can’t remember if OH needs to be stopped for this to work properly.

Once all the addons.cfg stuff is cleared out any changes you make through the console or the UI will stick.

1 Like

Having the same issue (running OH 2.5.12), updated the repositories source.
Add-on management set to false or true through PaperUI does not help.
Still getting the “error” in downloading binding.
It looks like only option remaining is to get the kar files manually.
Where can I find for example the “miio” kar file matching OH2.5 binding and where do I place it?

I now also get errors in the log also after reboots:

2021-08-06 13:00:46.454 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-miio': Error:

How do I stop it?

• you changed the repository source so that it points to the new location, right ?
  • did you then do sudo apt update ?
  • and then tried to install openhab2-addons package: sudo apt install openhab2-addons ?

why do I need to run this command?

This command installs the kar file. Content of the package is:
dpkg -L openhab2-addons

/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/openhab2
/usr/share/openhab2/addons
/usr/share/openhab2/addons/openhab-addons-2.5.12.kar

Now I get errors:

MessageBodyWriter not found for media type=text/event-stream, type=class org.glassfish.jersey.media.sse.OutboundEvent, genericType=class org.glassfish

trying now also:

sudo systemctl stop openhab2
sudo openhab-cli clean-cache
sudo reboot

Does it work now ?

Yes. It required 2 reboots after clean cache and a touch to all item files.
Thanks.

1 Like

My openhabian keeps trying to install from bintray on upgrade, eventhough I have disabled remote in the configuration. I have tried both UI and addons.cfg. I have tried to restart after. No effect. It still tries to use bintray. What more can I do?

on upgrade means “apt upgrade”, right ?
Then the repository is still pointing to the old location in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ in ( at least ) one of the files. It needs to point to

deb https://openhab.jfrog.io/artifactory/openhab-linuxpkg stable main

for the stable tree.

Yes, that did it. Thanks!

1 Like

What a clusterf*ck with whole bintray sunset :frowning:

Can someone rescue me with file

/usr/share/openhab2/addons/openhab-addons-2.5.11.kar

I need 2.5.11, not 12.

Pleas mind your wording, this is absolutely not acceptable.

We cannot provide older kar files anymore, so just use the 2.5.12 version.

1 Like

What was in my head (and you can’t object that) was ‘What a clusterfunglunck’ which in my regional vocabulary means ‘difficult’. So kindly please mind your dirty thinking, not everybody has them.

In the meantime, if anyone helpful can provide me a openhab-addons-2.5.11.kar from his machine (path shown above) I’d be grateful!

As I wrote, I need 11, not 12.