eKey binding does not parse packets for eKey net(!)

Hi,

I’m trying to read info from my eKey access system into OH. eKey binding is saying packets are illegal. I’m pasting openhab.log for 3 last actions: successful opening, uncusscessful, successful:

2017-06-11 21:52:22.154 [ERROR] [.e.internal.EKeyPacketReceiver] - Error parsing packet
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: It seems, that you passed an illegal packet!
        at at.fhooe.mc.schlgtwt.parser.RarePacket.<init>(RarePacket.java:56) ~[na:na]
        at org.openhab.binding.ekey.internal.EKeyPacketReceiver.run(EKeyPacketReceiver.java:135) ~[na:na]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_101]
2017-06-11 21:52:31.616 [ERROR] [.e.internal.EKeyPacketReceiver] - Error parsing packet
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: It seems, that you passed an illegal packet!
        at org.openhab.binding.ekey.internal.EKeyPacketReceiver.run(EKeyPacketReceiver.java:135) ~[na:na]
2017-06-11 21:52:38.518 [ERROR] [.e.internal.EKeyPacketReceiver] - Error parsing packet

tcpdump of the packets here.

Config:

• OH 1.8.3 on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
  • eKey binding is version 1.8.3 too, I’m using RARE protocol/mode
  • eKey itself is ~10 years old eKey net.

I know, binding is not intended for this product, but product sill is using RARE protocol, so I gave it a try.

My main guess is that eKey RARE protocol has different version for my (old) eKey product. I’d be glad if binding developer could confirm my guess. I’d try to write my own eKey binding version maybe.

It does not happen to me for the first time: I found the answer shortly after I submitted this post :smiley:

So, just for the record and Google search: eKey products “home” and “multi” are using different RARE protocol (called mode or format) than eKey “net” product. Dot.

Hi Janis

I encountered the same problem and by comparing the online available manuals also came to the conclusion that the rare protocols are close but different. So are the home and the net protocol. “Almost” the same but not 100%.

Did you follow up your idea to write your own binding and would you share that?

I thought about adjusting the home protocol in the existing binding to make it understand the net protocol (seemed easier and would be goog enough for my needs) but realized that this is more complicated than changing some numbers in a file and save it. Looks like this part is in java and it’s a complied file not interpreted.

Hi Marco,

Same here, I took a look at the code and understod that it is doable, but not in an hour or so. So it lays in my list of nice-to-have, but low priority.

It would be nice-to-have for me too!

(Unfortunately doing it myself is not in my (limited) skill set).