EnOcean Pi - Module inactive?

Hey everyone,

this might be a bit of a noob question, but I am struggling to get a sign of life from my EnOcean card. I am running a Raspberry Pi 2 and the element 14 card (looks like http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2045666990_5/EnOcean-Pi-868-Raspberry-Pi-Based-Gateway-for-Energy-Harvesting-Wireless-Networks.jpg).

According to Kai’s guide I expect to see at least some log output during boot up of openHab: http://kaikreuzer.blogspot.de/2014/08/forget-me-not-with-openhab-and-enocean.html

The board’s LED is green and openHab 1.7 starts up without any issues. I have disabled shell output on the serial connection via raspi-config. openhab.cfg contains enocean:serialPort=/dev/ttyAMA0 and the start_debug.sh contains

java $debug_opts
-Dosgi.clean=true
-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyAMA0
-Declipse.ignoreApp=true

I am sure I am just missing a tiny thing, but I cannot seem to find the issue. Btw I have not yet connected any EnOcean hardware other than the module itself.

Thanks much for your help!

Maybe no sufficient rights?
If the module works as expected when openHAB is started with root, you could extend the rights with chmod 666 /dev/ttyAMA0
or adduser <openhabuser> dialout (don’t know if that works as expected)

Hi Udo,

thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, “pi” is already in dialout group:
root@raspberrypi:/dev# adduser pi dialout
Der Benutzer »pi« ist bereits ein Mitglied der Gruppe »dialout«.

File is 666:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 204, 64 Dez 12 19:59 ttyAMA0

Here is my openHab start_debug.sh log output:
http://pastebin.com/MzwAAF9J

I am not even sure if I am supposed to see EnOcean log entries here - but I think I should…

You should at least see something like “Starting service EnOcean” near the top of your logs.

Have you double checked that the enocean jar file is in your addons folder?

One more thing to get in mind:

in /etc/rc.local the GPIOs have to be configured, not sure, something like

echo 17 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo 18 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio17/direction 
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio18/direction 

Maybe depends on the model…

As predicted, a noob issue :wink: Placing the jar file into the addons folder did the trick.

20:02:29.898 [DEBUG] [.b.e.internal.EnoceanActivator:35 ] - enocean binding has been started.
20:02:29.939 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:341 ] - Start processing binding configuration of Item ‘Floor_Lamp (Type=SwitchItem, State=Uninitialized)’ with ‘EnoceanGenericBindingProvider’ reader.
20:02:29.982 [INFO ] [.e.internal.bus.EnoceanBinding:296 ] - Connecting to Enocean [serialPort=’/dev/ttyAMA0’ ].
20:02:30.207 [DEBUG] [.e.internal.bus.EnoceanBinding:179 ] - Updating item state for items [Floor_Lamp]
20:02:30.222 [INFO ] [org.opencean.core.ESP3Host :66 ] - starting receiveRadio…

I guess I was confused why I could enable a binding in the openhab.cfg and not get an error message, if components are missing.

Thanks for your help everyone! :smile: