Examples of HABPanel Solutions

How did you mount the tablet? And how is charging working exactly?
Nice setup!

I use a magnetic holder mounted on the wall as you can see here

The usb cable is linked to an output on my sonoff 4ch. To manage charging I use the HabPanelViewer feature which send battery level to an item in OpenHab. Then I wrote a rule which switch on the Sonoff when battery level is behind 20% and off when reaches 99%

1 Like

How do you meassure the batterylevel?

HabPanelViewer supports this out of the box if I"m correct.

@s89511
The cable for charging is also a magnetic one? I would like to completely hide the cables.

But to use it in a rule, I guess it would have to be a channel/item somehow.

indeed

Ahh sorry… I totally overlooked that part :frowning:

Yes it’s a magnetic one…just to be comfortable in case I take the tablet away from the wall and I forget it’s “linked” :slight_smile:

If you would like to completely hide the cable I think you could use a wireless charger

Yes…just create an item in OpenHab and configure HabPabelViewer to send battery level to that item…very easy and works like a charm

2 Likes

Looks great! Would you mind sharing your rule? I would like to implement something similar using a sonoff basic and fully kiosk browser.

Sure…this is the main rule

rule "HabPanel 1 Battery Management"
when 
	Item Vi_Virtual_Var_HabPanel_Battery_Level_1 changed
then
	logInfo("habpanelviewer.rules", "HabPanel 1 Battery " + Vi_Virtual_Var_HabPanel_Battery_Level_1.state)
  if (Vi_Virtual_Var_HabPanel_Battery_Level_1.state < 20){
		logInfo("habpanelviewer.rules", "HabPanel 1 Low Battery")
		Vi_Virtual_HabPanel_PowerSupply_1.sendCommand(ON);
	}
	else if (Vi_Virtual_Var_HabPanel_Battery_Level_1.state > 98){
		logInfo("habpanelviewer.rules", "HabPanel 1 Battery OK")
		Vi_Virtual_HabPanel_PowerSupply_1.sendCommand(OFF);
	}
end

and these are the items

Item to store the battery level (you must configure this item in HPV settings)

Number Vi_Virtual_Var_HabPanel_Battery_Level_1 "HabPanel 1 battery level [%s]" <batterylevel> (grHabPanel1)

Item linked to SONOFF 4CH (Tasmota) to power on / off the power supply

Switch			Vi_Virtual_HabPanel_PowerSupply_1					"HabPanel PowerSupply 1"						    	<power>			
            	(grKitchen, grHabPanelViewer)
            	{mqtt="
            		<[openhabianpi-mqtt:smarthome/light_power/sonoff4chr218/stat/POWER4:state:default],
            		<[openhabianpi-mqtt:smarthome/light_power/sonoff4chr218/tele/STATE:state:JSONPATH($.POWER4)],
            		>[openhabianpi-mqtt:smarthome/light_power/sonoff4chr218/cmnd/power4:command:*:default]" 
            	}

Thank you, I am using fully kiosk browser on my fire tablet. I am going to see if I can tweak your rule to work with my items. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice solution and nice looking. Compliments. I’ll try something similar.
Thanks to you and all others for posting solutions and info.

very cool! what tablet are you using?
i’m looking for a white (not too expensive…) android tab…

I’m using a very cheap chinese 10’ android tablet bought on AliExpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32944732441.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2f624c4ds1GPQj

In some case its a bit slow with HabPanel…I’m managing to buy a different one…But for real-case testing scenario is good enough

1 Like

I am using Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10" flashed with Cyanogen, works flawlessly running habpanelviewer.

Time for a little update…

Spent some time today updating the main page of HABpanel and I’m digging it so I thought I’d share.

2 Likes

Just a small suggestion for your charging strategy: the maximum battery life is guaranteed in a range between 20 and 80% :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will change it.

Here’s my Habpanel. I was lucky to find a 13,5" Microsoft Surface Book with a broken keyboard base which still works fine as a tablet on external power (battery is pretty dead, too). That makes quite an awesome tablet for about 20€.
Home screen:

Weather overview:

System monitor:

I’m fine-tuning this all the time, I probably spent hundreds of hours on it :slight_smile: .

OpenHAB and HabPanel are running on a Asus TinkerBoard S2 (with eMMC). I have some self-built ESP8266 sensor nodes, some eq-Max heating thermostats and lot’s more.

9 Likes