Fakro ARZ shutters incorrectly identified as ZWS12 chain actuator + doesn't seem to actually report state

The Z-Wave documentation is helpful in this matter. I managed to figure out several things (and confirmed them using a low-level Z-Wave tool). For instance:

1. CMD_CLASS_ASSOCIATION is NOT supported by the ARZ Z-Wave (2013 version) although you should be able to perform remote association (from device to device without controller) according to the manual.

2. SWITCH_ALL is a command class that allows devices to respond to SWITCH_ALL commands on a pre-configured manner. The idea is:

• You can configure a device to respond (or not) to SWITCH_ALL commands (ALL_ON, ALL_OFF). There are 4 options:
      • obey only ALL_ON
      • obey only ALL_OFF
      • obey both
      • obey neither
    • When a device receives a SWITCH_ALL command, it will first check how it is configured to respond to these commands.

You can set this behaviour in the Thing in OH2 Paper UI, but I don’t know however if the Z-Wave binding currently supports SWITCH_ALL commands to be propagated from OH2 (or if it’s even desirable).

3. SPECIFIC_TYPE_CLASS_B_MOTOR_CONTROL implies that the device MUST support at least:

1. COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_BINARY version 1
    2. COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL version 3
    3. COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC (no specific version)
    4. COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION (no specific version)
  4. In addition, SPECIFIC_TYPE_CLASS_B_MOTOR_CONTROL implies:

1. COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC must be mapped to COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
    2. The device is endpoint-aware, but not necessarily position-aware (if position awareness is not supported, the position return value 0xFE means ‘undefined position or in-between endpoints’, otherwise it only means ‘undefined position’ - e.g. after a power cut).
    3. The device MAY support positional awareness, and MAY use estimations to provide position info (in the range 0x01 → 0x63)
    4. The Primary Switch Type SHOULD be 0x02 (Up/Down).

So the Fakro ARZ “2013” version seems to properly report its capabilities.

While using a low-level Z-Wave tool, I tested several command classes directly. It appears that:

1. BASIC_SET(0x00) → closes the roller shutters
  2. BASIC_SET(0xFF) → opens the roller shutters
  3. When the roller shutters opens, sending BASIC_SET(0x00) stops the shutters
  4. When the roller shutters closes, sending BASIC_SET(0xFF) stops the shutters
  5. BASIC_GET() →
    1. Fully closed → returns 0x00
    2. Fully opened → returns 0xFF
    3. Opening or closing, or stopped in-between end positions → returns 0xFE

BASIC SET only supports full open/close commands. You can stop the roller shutters to land them in-between end positions by issuing the inverse end position while the roller shutters are operating.

While using a low-level Z-Wave tool, I verified that SWITCH_MULTILEVEL works the same way as BASIC, and that SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_STOP effectively stops the roller shutters when in motion. It is more reliable than using the inversion approach from BASIC_SET. I also confirm that:

1. The ARZ Z-Wave shutters do not support positional awareness (only endpoint awareness is supported)
  2. The position of the ARZ Z-Wave shutters can be requested with a BASIC_GET or SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_GET command. Only the following 3 values will ever be returned:
    1. 0x00 (fully closed)
    2. 0xFF (fully open)
    3. 0xFE (after a power cut: position unknown; otherwise: position in-between endpoints)

The position value 0xFE is also returned while the roller shutters are operating (which makes sense and is expected).

This is good and bad news:

• The bad: the ARZ Z-Wave (2013 version) does not support positional awareness as it lacks support for this functionality. It also lacks the option some other similar devices offer to provide a rough estimate of an intermediate position for the same reason.
  • The good: the Z-Wave binding should be able to properly report the position (state) of the roller shutters at all times. And that should be able to address the problems I currently have, in that today I’m still unable to get reliable state updates from the roller shutters. The problem is that I don’t know how.

Maybe @chris could shed some light on the way the Z-Wave binding currently manages positional updates and what it expects/needs from the device XML info to properly do its job? I would expect it should be possible to poll the device for a given time. Unless the device should be polled every X minutes?

In Paper UI it looked like I could only choose Command Poll Interval values of 1500 (ms) and Disabled. In HABmin I tried increasing the Command Poll Interval for the roller shutters to 20 seconds and was happy to see that it was possible. It was not intuitive from the UI that I could set a different poll interval value.

What I still can’t solve right now, is to manage the cases where a secondary (non-Z-Wave+) controller controls the roller shutters as OH2 doesn’t see these operations (they are not directed at the primary controller). Consequently, I can’t produce reliable roller shutter states in OH2.

The roller shutters obey the Z-Wave spec and announce themselves with Primary Switch Type 0x02 (Up/Down), which means that 0x00 means close and 0xFF means open. However, this is the opposite from what OH2 expects. Would it be up to the binding to translate from “Z-Wave open=100/close=0” to “OH2 open=0/close=100”? I can of course manually ask OH2 to invert the percentage, but I suppose it should be the responsibility of either the binding or the Z-WAVE device definition.

We already had endless discussions about this, not only for the zwave binding (please search the forum).

That is the brilliance of @chris: he made this our choice, so I suggest to use that.

I was unaware of these discussions.

Will do!

1 Like

Meanwhile I’ve collected 2 odd command class entries in the node.xml file of one of my shutters:

<commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_BARRIER_OPERATOR</commandClass>
              <COMMAND__CLASS__BARRIER__OPERATOR>
                <version>0</version>
                <instances>0</instances>
                <control>false</control>
                <versionSupported>0</versionSupported>
              </COMMAND__CLASS__BARRIER__OPERATOR>
            </entry>
            <entry>
              <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_APPLICATION_STATUS</commandClass>
              <COMMAND__CLASS__APPLICATION__STATUS>
                <version>0</version>
                <instances>0</instances>
                <control>false</control>
                <versionSupported>0</versionSupported>
              </COMMAND__CLASS__APPLICATION__STATUS>
            </entry>
            <entry>

Since both report a supported version of 0 and 0 instances I assume that these are rather errors?

The binding adds command classes to the node.xml when it receives a zwave transaction containing a command class that it has not seen before. Occasionally, when a bad/corrupted zwave frame is received, the binding will add a bogus command class. That is likely the case here. These are harmless and can be ignored.

The issue here is if they are seen after initialisation, as could be the case (especially for the APPLICATION_STATUS) then the binding doesn’t request the version so it will remain at 0.