Fan changes speed but then stops

Hello,

I have a GE / Jasco12730 (ZW4002) Fan Control with z-wave binding. Lately I’ve noticed that if I set the fan speed at anything lower than 40%, the speed does change, I hear the motor adjust, but then the fan stops after just a few seconds. Reviewing the OH logs, I see that it does take the command to change the speed, but nothing to indicate it has stopped. I’ve checked several times that the speed set by the pull cord directly on the fan is set to the highest setting so that the Fan Control can take over from there. I’m not sure what can be causing this. It seems anything above 40% makes it work fine.

Here’s an example of the log:

2021-06-28 18:52:19.145 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘BedroomFan’ received command 30
2021-06-28 18:52:19.184 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘BedroomFan’ predicted to become 30
2021-06-28 18:52:19.198 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘BedroomFan’ changed from 50 to 30
2021-06-28 18:53:30.944 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘BedroomFan’ received command 50
2021-06-28 18:53:30.956 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘BedroomFan’ predicted to become 50
2021-06-28 18:53:30.962 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘BedroomFan’ changed from 30 to 50

The fan turns off shortly after “changed from 50 to 30”.

Does anybody have any ideas what may be going on? What should I check for?

I am using OH3.0.1 on openabian.

Thanks!

I would guess that your fan isn’t getting enough power at <40% to run the motor. At its highest setting on the actual fan, it’s looking for more electricity than the dimmer is allowing to it.

How can the fan not be getting enough power? Is there a way for me to test this? How can something like this be fixed?

I’m just speculating based on what you wrote, but maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

Is the switch actually turning off, or is the fan just not turning? There’s a difference. In one case, the switch is cutting power entirely. In the other, the motor isn’t getting enough power to actually turn the blades. I don’t know why that would be the case, but it would most likely be due to your fan aging.

The switch remains on according to the logs.

When the fan is stopped spin it and see how long it takes to stop. Then turn it on to 40% and wait for it to stop. Then spin it and see if it stops faster or slower.

1 Like