FGS 223 scene without changing state of local channel

Hi

I’ve got a Fibaro FGS 223 connected to a light.

Now I’d like to use this to send scenes as well. However, no matter what scene I activate (double, tripple click or hold) it will always toggle the connected light as well.

I could not figure out how I can turn that off. E.g make it work like this:

Single click : toggle light
double/tripple click: send scene, light does not change

Yes, I’d could create a rule toggling the light again if it received a scene, but that is more of a hack than a solution.

Does anybody know a better way how this could be done?

Thanks.

Hi.

Did you activate the scene functionality of the device?
Parameter 28 and 29 (see the manual here http://manuals.fibaro.com/content/manuals/en/FGS-2x3/FGS-2x3-EN-T-v1.2.pdf , page 18-19).

If everything is set up correctly there, I would look into whether the controller is in the Lifeline group (group 1) of the device. Sometimes this goes wrong at inclusion time (depending on the controller too).

Otherwise, I have no idea.

Yes. I have the liveline set to the controller.
Params:
20: 0
28: 2 (also tried 15)
30: 0

No association for groups 1-4

I do get the scene update in openhab just fine. My problem is, that not only do I get the scene update, but also the light is turned on or off as well. However, when I double click and send a scene command, I don’t want my switch to function as light switch.

Not sure whether this is possible. I have not tried it myself.

Did you find a solution for this so that only scenes are sent and fibaro fgs223 switch not changing state?

No. To my knowledge this is unfortunately not possible.

@schnidrig Fibaro Behavior question: Say the light that’s directly connected to the Fibaro relay IS part of the scene that’s programmed to the double/triple click event. Will the connected liight become set to the desired END STATE as defined in the scene, or does it just flip (stupidly) to the opposite state irrespective of the scene’s definition?

Another Fibaro question if you don’t mind: Do you know if scenes can only be triggered when using a MOMENTARY contact switch onto the relay inputs, VERSUS when configured to using a traditional light switch (i.e. when the state of the switch changes, from say ON to OFF, it toggles the light from its OFF state to ON)?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you mean, when you say: “Fibaro relay IS part of the scene”. A switch can send scenes, but how can it be part of the scene? You can change it’s state in a rule in openhab. Is that what you mean?

Then yes, the switch will toggle it’s state no matter what, afterwards the rule can override the state again. It’s not pretty, but in the end you get the desired state.

I converted all my switches to momentary contact since then you get more scene possibilities. Especially the long press is not possible with a toggle switch. But single double tripple click should work according to the manual with toggle switches as well. However I must admit, I did not really try this.

Thanks @schnidrig Yes, you understood my question. Upon closer reading of the docs on parameter 20, I think your read is correct, and only the long-press scene is lost when configured to use a toggle switch in mode 2, vs 1.

Related question: Let’s say you send a scene with a double-tap (for example turn 5 lights turn ON), what happens when you send the SAME double-tap scene again? Is the concept that the scene’s state is toggled (i.e. to previous state, off) or is the scene idempotent, reaffirming its ON state? In other words do you have to send a DIFFERENT scene (e.g. triple tap) to toggle those 5 lights to OFF?

Again, thanks a lot for your guidance.

The scene does not mean anything by itself. Think of it as an event, that openhab receives. What happens when the event is received is entirely up to you. You can write a rule for it and that rule can do whatever you want it to.

1 Like

Thanks again. That’s helpful. I’m new to ZWave. I’ve only played with Enocean, which in the near decade I’ve been following it, somehow STILL doesn’t have a relay device like we’re discussing (Not in the US market 902MHz, only found in Europe/Japan 868MHz).

What kind of latency do you find to be typical in your ZWave network (assuming you have good reception). For example from the time you send a scene to the time the devices have received their messages from OpehHab?

If the delay is perceptible, do you notice that the latency is better if a controller (like a switch) is directly “associated” with a slave (like an outlet) rather than being part of a scene or group defined in OpenHab?

Whenever possible, I associate switches directly with each other. I want my house to be operational even when openhab is not working at all.

Delays are not great. They are very noticeable and at times even annoying. In general delays are better the less devices that are involved in an action. If you have a device triggering a switch of 3-4 devices, then delays are always bad.

Sh**. I was hoping you were NOT going to say that. Latency is a peave of mine, and it is one thing I really (really) love about the Enocean technologies. However now that Enocean (it’s own link protocol on .902) is being co-mingled with Zigbee (802.15.4 on link on 2.4) the marketplace is even more confusing as to what’s what. ‘Go Zwave’ I guess. At a minimum, the latency on the primary action of the ZWave Fibaro 223 switch is transparent to guests (untrained users). That’s my primary goal. I think I’ll still go ahead and build a ZWave network.

Same Problem with FGS223. Long Press (or all other scene triggers) on the switch to raise a scene causes an unwanted switch light ON/OFF. With FGS224 I don‘t have this behaviour. Meanwhile, do you have a solution for this?