Fibaro universal binary sensor - very confused

So I’ve had a fibaro binary sensor working very well for about two years - first on OH1.8 and now on the 2.2 snapshot.

I bought another as part of a new project - and after several hours of fiddling I just can’t get it to work.

I used habmin to associate the input groups with the openhab controller and, sure enough, I get nice zwave logs whenever I trigger an input. But this isn’t reflected in my defined items - the events log shows that the items have been linked to the device, but the items never change.

I’m beginning to think I must be doing something stupid, but I can’t work out what.

Item definitions as follows:

Switch test1 {channel="zwave:device:zstick:node56:sensor_binary1"}
Switch test2 {channel="zwave:device:zstick:node56:sensor_binary2"}

zwave logs here in case they’re any assistance.

Would be really grateful if anyone can help me!

thanks,

Dan

1 Like

The device is only sending the BASIC_SET on the root. Maybe the old version also used he BASIC command class (??), but my guess here is that this is another instance of the multi-channel command class issue as more devices are starting to use this.

It’s something I’m working on (we’ll, not in the past week as I was away). Can you supply the XML for this new device (I’m guessing it has newer firmware than the other one(s) you have?

Thank you - relieved to hear I am not crazy!

XML here

Until you’ve had a chance to get to this, I reckon I should be able to workaround the problem by using tail/awk to monitor the logfiles and trip an openhab switch when the device sends the BASIC_SET command. Will post that on this thread when I’ve got it working, on the offchance anyone else has the same problem.

Ok, thanks. Are you using the development version, or the snapshot?

development - 25 October version

Ok, thanks. Can you try deleting the XML for this device, reinitialise, and send me the log of the init? I think that by setting the multi-channel lifeline association it should enable multi-channel messages - I’d like to see if that is being set or not…

sure - log is here

Sadly looking at the logs I don’t think I can do anything clever with an awk script, because the logs look exactly the same when I trigger input 1 as when I trigger input 2.

If you have the opportunity, give this version a try. Delete the XML for the node so it reinitialises…

Thank you!

Doesn’t seem to make a difference. I attach the log with the reinitiatisation and a couple of test transactions, and also the XML

Thanks - I’ll take a look at this later.

The log doesn’t show any initialisation. The device is showing as failed by the controller, so it hasn’t yet initialised it (hence there’s no change in function). Probably waking up the device will sort this and allow it to initialise (I plan to change this logic in the near future).

oh, I assumed that if a new XML was created there must have been initialisation. I’l have another go!

Yes - that is a valid assumption, but the log doesn’t have the info. Maybe it completed after the log was sent ?!?

You are of course right - it came a bit later… I think it’s in here

There is some in here, but not the full log.

Anyway - hold off for a bit as I’m hopefully homing in on some more changes to these settings that I think will impact this…

Thanks - will do. I’ve been trying to avoid dumping vast logs on you, but looks like I’m no good at that…

Vast logs (well, reasonably vast) are fine - up to 10 to 15MB I can handle in the log viewer and really once they are in there it’s pretty manageable…

staying in the queue for FBS001 fix :slight_smile: Happy to help with testing/logs as needed

So here’s my temporary solution:

add the following into crontab:

@reboot tail -F /var/log/openhab2/zwave.log | awk '/NODE 56: Incoming command class COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC/ { system("wget http://localhost:8080/classicui/CMD?MySwitch=ON -P /tmp") }'

then (making sure the expire binding is installed) the following item:

Switch MySwitch  "New switch" { expire="2s,command=OFF" }

A rule can then simply detect the switch changing from OFF to ON

Obvious disadvantage is you can’t use two inputs - my dumb solution for the moment was to buy another fibaro device.