Final Release Preparations - need your help!

All,

Yesterday, I have pushed some further changes in ESH to openHAB. This is now the definite code base that will go into openHAB 2.0.0 release - feel free to test todays distro snapshot.

We will prepare the release over the weekend, so you might see some interruptions on the build server, download sites and website in general. A public announcement of the release is planned for Monday afternoon CET.

As we believe that it is going to be great news for smart home fans around the worlds, I would like to ask for your help: While we had regular press coverage in Germany on heise.de and jaxenter.de, there hasn’t been much coverage in the press besides that.

We have two thirds of our users outside of Germany and I have no contacts to any IT news sites there at all. It therefore would be great if any one of you might have personal contacts to editors of such sites and could convince them to write about the openHAB 2.0 release - I can also supply them with information prior to the official annoucement, in case they want to prepare something.

So please PM me, if you can help on this, it would be awesome!

Cheers,
Kai

5 Likes

Hi Kai
I can try to do something for the French community, openHAB has a very low visibility in France I think.
Do you prefer that I give your mail to discuss with them directly (to provide information) or you share with us what we can communicate to help them writing an article ?

Hi,

That would be great, thanks!
Yes, feel free to refer them directly to me (kai@openhab.org) - I will work on the draft of my blog post, so hopefully I can share that by tonight. (Ok, I see that editors won’t read it before Monday morning, but still, it should be a useful heads up).

Cheers,
Kai

1 Like

Is it worth posting on relevant social boards like https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/ ?

1 Like

Certainly that would be a good idea.

I’ve made my first steps with great help from the tutorials from www.makeuseof.com. They seem to have a focus on smart home systems and James Bruce seems to like OpenHAB! :wink:

I don’t know him personally but you should get in contact with him (if not already done…)!

All, my blog post is now live - feel free to distribute the news!

Good idea - I had contact with him a while ago, his articles on makeuseof.com are really good indeed! Will try to reach out to him.

3 Likes

Great Post Kai ! and many thanks for your hard work to make this happen.

2 Likes

I’ve posted the announcement on HackerNews. Please upvote and comment to initiate some traction :wink:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13461766

3 Likes

All, my blog post is now live - feel free to distribute the news!

Very good article and a big thank you especially to Kai but also to everyone else for the hard work.

I’ve posted the announcement on HackerNews. Please upvote and comment to initiate some traction

There are also tow posts on Reddit:

4 Likes

I published an article for the french community: http://www.touteladomotique.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1887:openhab2-est-disponible-&catid=80:maison&Itemid=91#.WI-FEjg9XTQ

It is more or less a copy/paste of Kai’s article but translated in French. Unfortunately, all my URLs in the article were suppressed :frowning:

1 Like

I notified Tweakers.net (a Dutch tech site).
Let’s hope they pick it up.

1 Like

No other article all over the world ?