Fine Offset Weather Station Binding: Discussion

Thanks…just updated to 3.4.0 which includes the latest binding. Problem solved.

Good morning!

Can anyone recommend a concrete product to be used with this binding?

I am looking for a weather station that provides at least wind and temperature data from a solar-powered outdoor sensor, has an indoor display and can send its data to openHAB, mainly for bringing up our window shutters when the wind gets too strong.

If I understand it correctly, I need the outdoor sensor, the indoor display and additionally the gateway device that connects to the network?

The products I could find from Waldbeck Halley or Steinberg Systems only come with either a display or the gateway but not both.

Thanks for your help!

This is what I’m using, and it’s stable. The base station talks to the remote unit via 433, I think. The base station can be paired to Wifi, and then you specify the URL for it to send its data, which is the Openhab service. You will have to provision it with their app. I couldn’t figure out how to do it without the app.

1 Like

What shutters are you using? I have been looking to buy some for a while.

With the knowledge I have today, I would decide to buy the WS90 and then choose a suitable gateway + display according to the compatibility matrix. And then look for a cheap bundle.

Especially when it comes to controlling devices based on weather conditions, the advantage here is that it can detect even the smallest amounts of rain.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! Apart from the better rain detection, do you see any other advantages with the WS90 compared to the cheaper WH24?

I am afraid I do not know what model or make those shutters are. They have been installed in 2008 when the house was built by my now-wife, but I just moved in recently with her and am only starting to explore the stuff that was put in there back then. What can say is that the shutters are controlled by our BTicino MyHome automation system, specifically by their F411/2 actuators. Integration with openHAB works fine so far with the Open Web Net binding, also for our lights and control switches, which are all connected to the BTicino bus. However, the BTicino products are proprietary and seem to be at the end of their lifecycle, so I don’t think I’d recommend doing any new installations with them.

Just to follow-up on this, I assume the app only works if the setup is connected to the manufacturers cloud service? Is this cloud service vendor-specific or do all these white-label devices sold by different vendors use the same cloud service?

The app allows you to specify your local network openhab instance. It does not have to point to a cloud service.

You can keep all of your data on your local LAN.

I don’t think the phone app connects to the cloud, but I could be wrong. I did a simple scan on the base station and couldn’t see a simple way to configure. I wish they wouldn’t obfuscate. Hopefully Thread and Matter brings these shenanigans to an end.

1 Like

One question about this one, does the WS90 support multiple receivers, i.e. can I pair it with one gateway and multiple displays?

OK, that sounds good! I now ordered a bundle of the WS90 with the GW2001. Will give that a try first and then add display(s) later. I did not want to use a display as gateway, because I wanted a stable and wired gateway, that is away from user’s hands that may interfere with its operations. :wink:

There’s no way to alter the gateway settings at the display. It must be done wireless via the app.

Got the Ecowitt WS90/GW2000 bundle today and have it up and running already, with connection to openHAB. So far everything works fine, and I did not need to install the app.

Basically I connected the GW2000 to my LAN via cable, assigned a static IP via the DHCP server of our router, then accessed it via the web interface to upgrade the firmware and set an admin password. To connect it to openHAB, I just installed the binding and the Things for the gateway and the weather sensor were automatically discovered. While you can configure the connection to weather services or custom URLs on the gateway’s web interface, that does not seem to be necessary for openHAB.

Our HP2560 console is on its way as well. Our preference would have been the simpler WN1980_C but that one is out of stock, so we went all-in and ordered the bigger one. :wink:

Not sure about the other gateways, but with the GW2000, the web interface of the gateway itself works just fine. I am still curious about the app to display weather data, but it does not seem to be required for setup.

I wish I had known this. I hope more companies continue to allow configuration without apps.

This manual was quite helpful in the setup with the embedded web page:

I am now done with the installation and integration of the WS90 and GW2000, including control of our shutters based on wind speed, and the indoor humidifier with the gateways indoor humidity sensor. I wrote an article on my blog about it, maybe it will be useful for others attempting to do similar things:

3 Likes

Hi Robert,
I just had a look into your blog. Good job!

I’m running OH 3.4.0 stable with the Ecowitt Wittboy Bundle (GW2000A and WS90) via Fine Offset Weather Station Binding v3.4.0
GW2000A has got firmware v2.2.2, sensor array WS90 v1.2.6.

In your blog I have seen an OH screenshot of the thing called ‘Wetter Gateway’ with all available channels. I’m now wondering if all your channels are present at the same time.
My channels are permanently alternating in two groups: one group shows all rain-related channels, the second group has all other channels. So there is always only one group of channels present at a time.

Could you give me a brief confirmation please? It would be interesting for me if your channels are always present at the same time, what differences we have regarding setting and firmware.

Thank you in advance.
Michel

Disregard.
I just removed the weatherstation and inserted it from scratch and now it shows all channels, too.
Everything works fine so far.
Nervertheless thank you for your blog.

Happy to hear that you found the blog post useful and that the setup is now working out for you. I did not see the issue you describe, for me all channels were available from the get go.

Good morning,

After having the WS90/GW2000 combination running for some time, I have one major issue. From time to time, the binding runs into the following error, after which it stops working and no more updates are received from the weather station.

When I disable and enable the gateway Thing it starts working again.

This is the error:

2023-02-02 15:33:28.882 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception: 
java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException: null
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$Sync.tryRelease(ReentrantLock.java:149) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.release(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1302) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock.unlock(ReentrantLock.java:439) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.fineoffsetweatherstation.internal.service.GatewayQueryService.executeCommand(GatewayQueryService.java:123) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.fineoffsetweatherstation.internal.service.FineOffsetGatewayQueryService.executeCommand(FineOffsetGatewayQueryService.java:113) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.fineoffsetweatherstation.internal.service.FineOffsetGatewayQueryService.getMeasuredValues(FineOffsetGatewayQueryService.java:93) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.fineoffsetweatherstation.internal.handler.FineOffsetGatewayHandler.query(FineOffsetGatewayHandler.java:277) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.fineoffsetweatherstation.internal.handler.FineOffsetGatewayHandler.updateLiveData(FineOffsetGatewayHandler.java:159) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

Has anyone here seen this issue before?

Edit: created a Github issue for this: