First Alert Z-Wave Combo, 2nd Generation

As of August First Alert has a 2nd gen combo smoke/CO2 unit. See:

Pairing it to my OpenHab2 was fairly easy, but it isn’t reporting any data. I’m not sure if I’ve made a mistake, or need to submit information for it to the project.

This is the information from the Properties page in Paper ui. Any hints where else to look ?

dbReference 1295
defaultAssociations 1
manufacturerId 0138
manufacturerRef 0001:0003
modelId ZCOMBO-G
vendor BRK Brands, Inc.
zwave_beaming true
zwave_class_basic BASIC_TYPE_ROUTING_SLAVE
zwave_class_generic GENERIC_TYPE_SENSOR_NOTIFICATION
zwave_class_specific SPECIFIC_TYPE_NOTIFICATION_SENSOR
zwave_deviceid 3
zwave_devicetype 1
zwave_frequent false
zwave_listening false
zwave_manufacturer 312
zwave_neighbours
zwave_nodeid 4
zwave_plus_devicetype NODE_TYPE_ZWAVEPLUS_NODE
zwave_plus_roletype ROLE_TYPE_SLAVE_SLEEPING_REPORTING
zwave_routing true
zwave_secure false
zwave_version 0.0

You’re going to need to give us a little more to work with here for anyone to really diagnose this issue. What channels have you tried to connect to the thing? What do your logs show? What version OH2? Your device is in the zwave database, so the issue is mostly likely somewhere in your configuration; that’s what we need to see to be able to help.

Thank you @JustinG !

I’m running OpenHab 2.5.10 on Fedora Server 33, Oracle jre 1.8.0_271

I connected the device in the paper UI, and have the four channels connected: the System, CO, and Smoke alarms, and battery level. Level shows -NaN %

If I wake up the detector I see events in event.log, but never anything for data.

This is what’s in the Paper UI config page:
Supervisor report Timeout 1500
Retry count 1
Wait time 5
Association groups Lifeline
Polling period 1 Day
Command Poll Period 1500
Wakeup Interval 4200

And I’ll attach the log events.
zcombo.log (7.5 KB)

What do you see in Habmin (which you should be using for Z-Wave devices), under Configuration> Things> Attributes? Do you see anything missing in the Thing definition compared to the manual? It’s possible that they added some things to the gen2 vs the gen1. The gen1 (search forum for zcombo) was notoriously bad at inclusion and initialization, to where you had to wake it up (pulling battery while holding button) many many many times… and even then it may not be identified.

There are two versions in the database, but I didn’t see a difference…

Here are the attributes. thanks for the hint on Habmin ! (The wakeup was me pulling the battery tray)

Screenshot_2020-11-27openhab

OK… you have the 0001:0003. It doesn’t look all filled in though (not fully initialized). You may need to wake it up a few more times, which should involve holding the Test button while inserting the batteries. It looks like you have this down, since it woke up a minute ago. Does Habmin show the Thing as initialized? If not initialized, you will see what stage of initialization it is in… Request NIF, etc. A quick way to check is to look under Tools> Show advanced settings> and see if ‘Reinitialize device’ is in the menu. I’m not suggesting to select it, just check for its presence. You will only see that if the device is initialized.

It says “Node Initializing: VERSION” , and no “Reinitialize device” is listed.

More wakeups needed :slight_smile: