First Alert Z-Wave Smoke Detector not recognized

I purchased a couple of “First Alert Z-Wave Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Works with Ring Alarm, 2nd Generation” smoke detectors from Amazon and they don’t seem to be recognized by the z-wave binding.

Here are the attributes of the device:

This is what paperui says about it:

Unknown Device

This device has not been fully discovered by the binding. There are a few possible reasons for this -:

• The device is not in the database. If the device attributes show that this device has a valid manufacturer ID, device ID and type, then this is likely the case (eg. you see a label like “Z-Wave node 1 (0082:6015:020D::2.0)”). Even if the device appears to be in the database, some manufacturers use multiple sets of references for different regions or versions, and your device references may not be in the database. In either case, the database must be updated and you should raise an issue to get this addressed.
  • The device initialisation is not complete. Once the device is included into the network, the binding must interrogate it to find out what type of device it is. One part of this process is to get the manufacturer information required to identify the device, and until this is done, the device will remain unknown. For mains powered devices, this will occur quickly, however for battery devices the device must be woken up a number of times to allow the discovery phase to complete. This must be performed with the device close to the controller.

Not sure where to go from here. Is there a way to manually configure channels on the device?

Point 2 applies here - the device initialisation is not complete. This is because point 1 states it only applies “If the device attributes show that this device has a valid manufacturer ID, device ID and type” - and as per your image of the properties, there is no type/id.

1 Like

Thanks for the response chirs. I have followed the instructions for “Procedure to manually wake-up the device” a few times in hope that it would send the information but it doesn’t seem to be doing that. In fact, I do not see any information appear in my log with debug set on org.openhab.binding.zwave.

I have also tried running the inclusion routine on the smoke alarm which produces a lot of debug log output (two different attempts seen below) but sadly does not fill in any additional information.
In this case Node 20 is the smoke alarm. It looks like the first attempt log shows Manufacturer ID and Device Type/Device ID information:

2021-02-28 08:53:02.770 [DEBUG] [tocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 20: Received COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC V0 MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC_REPORT
2021-02-28 08:53:02.772 [DEBUG] [WaveManufacturerSpecificCommandClass] - NODE 20: Manufacturer ID = 0x138
2021-02-28 08:53:02.774 [DEBUG] [WaveManufacturerSpecificCommandClass] - NODE 20: Device Type     = 0x1
2021-02-28 08:53:02.776 [DEBUG] [WaveManufacturerSpecificCommandClass] - NODE 20: Device ID       = 0x3

But, Habmin still reports no Manufaturer ID / Type ID…

I have atteched the two logs.includ1.txt (53.0 KB) include2.txt (36.7 KB)

Old thread … but curious if you got this working?

I left my First Alert on my SmartThings setup and had a bridge between the two … but now, ST has changed their whole architecture and it no longer works (which is why I had the foresight to move away from ST 2 years ago.

Anyway I will try it again in a few days to see if there has been any changes that might help it work.

There were changes in OH3.3 (June 2022ish) that fixed the problems I see in the files above. Should not need more than 1-2 awakes

1 Like

excellent … yes I just removed it from my SmartThings (a dead to me product) and attempted to join … it took a few tries to get it to show in a scan … but now works beautifully.