From Home Assistant (HASSIO) to openHab (openHabian)

Hi, I have played around with Home Assistant on my Pi3 with the image Hassio. It has worked fine and I have coped decent with the config files and setup in general. My primary issue, and why I look to openHab, is that I like the interface better (on pictures at least) and having the z wave central scene command as openHab has, but Home Assistant doesn’t is also a big deal for me. Further more not having to open ports, but using myopenhab is also very convenient.

The reason for me not shifting immediately is that I generally read that Home Assistant is much easier to use than openHab. Does that also hold truth for openHabian? I am not Linux user and would like to use as much of my time on home automation on the system it self and not the OS/maintenance etc. I have found Hassio superb there, as I just installed it and add-ons are easy to install, it updates via a button in the interface etc. Will openHabian be as easy or shall I expect a steeper learning curve than Home Assistant?

My setup is not very advanced, I have a lot of z wave devices (primarily Aeotec Nano dimmer and switches, Aeotec Multisensor 6, Wallmote Quad and some Hue bulbs).

Anybody else who have jumped ship and has some input to where the major differences lies?

openHABian is just a bunch of scripts that handles installation, configuration, and upgrade of OH and related applications automatically. But beyond that it is the same OH as everyone else uses.

So why not run openHAB on Windows or OSx? Nothing says you have to run it on Linux and these other OS’s are well supported.

You will have to use the command line with openHABian and browse a text based menu for those sorts of actions.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

The reason for the OS question was that I would like to use my Pi, just as I do with Hassio, but I don’t have a lot of knowledge of how the Pi itself actually works, thus I like the idea that openHabian/Hassio takes care of that part.

I’ll try to back up by current Hassio setup and give openHabian a try :slight_smile:

That’s one of the beauties of SBCs. Good luck!