From Where Should I Start?

Hello, all!

This is my first post after just joining this discussion, so please forgive me and provide kind assistance if I have posted to the wrong subsection.

I am new here but a real enthusiast and loving this community so far. I have a background in teaching coding and in education and feel I could help with documentation, at least for starters.

As a new member in this forum and wish to share and gain some knowledge. I am looking forward to create my own discussion to resolve my query and gain some knowledge.

Also in what category should be taken depends on what factors?

Thankyou in advance

Welcome! We definitely can use some help with the docs and as a new user your perspective will be informative.

In general the categories are not super strictly policed. There are just a few places where posting is strictly controlled:

• Announcements: regular users should never create threads here (I don’t think that’s allowed by the software actually). This is where OH release announcements are posted.
  • Foundation: this is discussions for the openHAB Foundation, the charity that runs myopenhab.org and works to get the word out about openHAB. I think you have to be a foundation member to see these and definitely should be a member to post there.
  • Marketplace: this is where users can post add-ons, UI widgets, rule templates, and block libraries that other users of OH can install through MainUI. These posts need to follow a certain format so you should only open a new thread there if you know what you are doing (posting a reply to ask for help and such is fine).
  • Tutorials and Solutions is a place to post a tutorial, not a place to ask for one.
  • Development is a place to post about the development of OH itself.

I think every other category is pretty self explanatory and it’s not that big of a deal if you post to the wrong category in those. If it’s a problem a moderator will often come along and move it to a better category for you if it’s needed. But, for example, if you need help with Rules, you are most likely to get the help you need posting to Setup Configuration and Use → Scripts and Rules. If you have a question about HABPanel you’d post to Apps and Services → HABPanel.

1 Like

Hello there,

Thanks a lot for replying and sparing a time looking forward for more interesting discussions.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.