Frontail, broken design

I have the same issue. Yesterday I installed an Ubuntu 20.04.1 on a new PC as I want to migrate to a different machine. After installing OpenHabian and installing Frontail it had the same layout issues.

I saw that the bootstrap.min.css file is in the folder /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/web/assets/styles on my old machine and I copied it over to the new machine and now the layout looks ok. However I also noticed that the new machine is also lacking the files “dark.css” and “default.css” in this folder.

old machine:

newly installed machine:

I am having the exact same problem - only openhab.css in the styles/ directory.

There are NO ERRORS in the web developer network view when it tries to load bootstrap.min.css. So I copied the url into another tab and it sure enough no error but redirects and loads frontail index, no error but not bootstrap.min.css. weird.

Frontail failed to install on a fresh openhabian 5.8-1. So I installed it manually. I am running frontail 4.9.1

are you on stable tree or on master of when you use the openhabian config menu ?
the stable tree expects a physical file bootstrap.min.css in the styles directory while the master tree uses an URL to load bootstrap.min.css from the internet.

I copied bootstrap.min.css into /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/web/assets/styles. This helped but I am still missing dark.css and default.css

I just ran openhabian-config

1. ran option 01 | and set branch to stable
  2. ran option 03 | Install or upgrade to latest stable
    rebooted

No change in frontail display.

ran openhabian-config again

1. ran option 20 | Optional Components
  2. ran option 21 | Log Viewer (frontail)

This deleted everything in /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/web/assets/styles except for openhab.css.

I can put anything for this url like http://192.168.1.30:9001/styles/sillyme.css and it loads http://192.168.1.30:9001/ no error

Also notice how bootstrap.min.css is a type HTML and not CSS

##############################################################    #################
    ###############  openhab  #####################################################
    ###############################################################################
    ##        Ip = 192.168.1.30
    ##   Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    ##    Kernel = Linux 5.4.51-v7l+
    ##  Platform = Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
    ##    Uptime = 0 day(s). 0:53:8
    ## CPU Usage = 1.25% avg over 4 cpu(s) (4 core(s) x 1 socket(s))
    ##  CPU Load = 1m: 0.50, 5m: 0.41, 15m: 0.40
    ##    Memory = Free: 1.08GB (58%), Used: 0.78GB (42%), Total: 1.87GB
    ##      Swap = Free: 1.99GB (100%), Used: 0.00GB (0%), Total: 1.99GB
    ##      Root = Free: 107.12GB (95%), Used: 5.21GB (5%), Total: 117.13GB
    ##   Updates = 0 apt updates available.
    ##  Sessions = 0 session(s)
    ## Processes = 123 running processes of 32768 maximum processes
    ###############################################################################

Welcome to            __  _____    ____  _
                ____  ____  ___  ____  / / / /   |  / __ )(_)___ _____
               / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __  / / __ `/ __ \
              / /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / __  / ___ |/ /_/ / / /_/ / / / /
              \____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/_/\__,_/_/ /_/
                  /_/
                      openHAB 2.5.8-1 (Release Build)

you need to choose master

2 Likes

Thank you. Master fixed frontail

1 Like

Switching to Master fixed also my layout issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still have one issue with frontail since switching to master.

When I restart openhab “sudo service openhab2 restart” frontail takes ages to start as well.
I see the frontail icon in the OpenHAB UI selection instantly but it takes like 3-5 minutes after openHAB started until I can access the UI.

Am I the only one with this issue?

That’s normal, it’s the time it takes to restart OH on a SBC like a RPi.

I run my OH2 instance on an Intel NUC Gen8 i7.

OpenHab2 is running and working and I can access the OH2 Basic, Classic and Paper UI long before I can access the Frontail UI.

I just thought this is an unusual behavior.

It happens to everyone, Frontail just takes time to start updating logs again after a OH restart. Perhaps someday it will get better but for now that is what we are stuck with.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.