Full example for a time based light control system

Hello!
while browsing thru examples I find 100 solutions for simple light on/off panels maybe combined with a countdown time or similar. However I found nothing about a light control panel which control switching on/off times via time of the day, sunlight (+offset) as a complete set with items, rules and a panel??
Is this really an “exoctic” SmartHome application for OpenHab?

I can imagine a generic setup with cron based rules and the astro module but I would also have some nice widgets which controls the setting of the timer clocks?

Ummmm

So those kinds of functions are within all of the Velbus input modules.

https://www.velbus.eu/products/category/?id=416758

All that openHAB needs to do is set the alarm times in the input devices or activate sunrise / sunset timed events.

Other hardware may require a different approach.

I’m sure what you’re asking for is all possible with openHAB rules.

Hello!
I already got Hardware: a bunch of RF controlled power plugs, a Rapberry with a working RF 433Mhz transmitter, a shell script which sends out the on/off commands to the plugs…

Now this all should now be nicely assembled in an OpenHaB Panel. But I cannot even find a date/timer picker widget to fill some time/date OH items with values. I dont want 3 simple sliders for day, hour, minutes. For such a solution I dont need a “big” system like OH.

Scheduling is a sorely missing feature of openHAB.
This is the reason why there is so much cottage industry around the topic. There are a couple of rather nice scheduling tools about. One for basicUI the other for HABPanel.
I am on my phone and can’t get the links right now

Hi

When you get 5 minutes, can you point me in the direction of the scheduler for HabPanel please?

Here you are

2 Likes

That looks promising. Thanks!

Well after a more deeper look I think this is way over the top and much to complicated for my simple idea of some RF sockets with light bulbs which should be controlled by a clock. Apparently OpenHAB is not designed for this (same as ioBroker btw…)
Also the load of the OH java engine is quiet strong on my old Raspberry 2. I will rather write a small web interface myself with a Python scripts and the system crontab. Probably faster :wink:

Thanks for the help anyway. Might come back to OH when I have more Smarthome devices which are worth the effort.

You can look this solution. I have wrote this for a enviroment as you describe.
https://community.openhab.org/t/timeline-picker-to-setup-heating-light-and-so-on/55564/57

So you have a integration in openHAB and a cool UI.

It’s also possible to control more then one lamp in one widget. Then you must use a proxy item and a additional rule to evalute the state of this proxy item.

1 Like

Thanks, much more simple example and and a very good documentation!