Gardena: Error 429 Limit Exceeded

Thank you so much Andrew! Hope Gardena reacts and solves the mess they seem to have on their side of the API.

New UI elements here…

EDIT: I just sent an email to ‘feedback@developer.husqvarnagroup.cloud’

4 Likes

Dear All,

I just got the following reply from Gardena…

Hi AndrewFG

I am one of the developers working on the Gardena Integration API. You are correct in your assumptions that we are experiencing problems on our side that cause many unexpected 429 errors.

We are aware of this issue and are currently working on a solution.

As far as I can see, the openHAB implementation is fully compliant with our rate limits as described in our documentation and thus there is nothing that you need to change on your side.

I hope that this reply, despite probably not being the response you’ve hoped for, at least sheds some light on this issue.

Sincerely
Timothy

8 Likes

thanks, seems we’ll need to wait for a fix on their side

Thank you so much, Andrew! Now we have clarity and simply need to wait until Gardena fixed the issue on their side. It’s a bit worrying that it takes them so long to handle it but all we can do is wait. Have a great week everyone!

Getting worth since yesterday, now I‘m no longer able to disable/enable restart binding, nothing helps. Always Error 429 :-/
Hope Gardena will fix this soon.

1 Like

I emailed the developer again, to ask if they have a timeline for a fix.

3 Likes

brief update:

I just gave it another try late yesterday (about 11pm) and it worked. Surprisingly it’s still working, also this morning rule worked fine; was calling Gardena thing out of rule was breaking bridge before.

Not sure if Gardena changed something and not to call this solved, but at least bridge is still online on my end.

No. The act of opening a new websocket connection to listen for status changes is already sufficient to cause the error. (The server cancels the web socket every 120 minutes, so the binding has to open a new one every 120 minutes). It does not seem to make any difference what traffic is passing through the web socket.

2 Likes

Looks like it works again. Mine is online since more than 24h again.

Same for me. Looks ok since 29th of July. Though it also disappeared again on the 27th. Let’s see…

What this also illustrates (since I was briefly thinking about bringing my irrigation-logic to openHAB some months back, instead of using the Gardena App) that such an API downtime can easily destroy all your plants. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

You are right, espacially when you are on holiday :joy:

1 Like

Same for me, since around 26 Jul 2022 it seems to work again. Was on vacation and could not check in detail until now.

Regarding “can destroy all your plants”, this is why I don’t use OpenHAB to control vital processes in my house. Not because of OpenHAB as such, the software seems very reliable and extremely stable, but the other end of the bindings is not always reliable. Plus, OpenHAB runs in a container on a NAS server in my basement. While this environment has proven to be pretty reliable, it has many single points of failures that can bring down my whole OpenHAB service (which is not OpenHAB’s fault, of course). So I mostly collect data with OpenHAB and use it as my main dashboard to have the status of all smart infrastructure visible at a glance (and OpenHAB really shines here, if you’re willing to code your own widgets). And I use it to control some selected infrastructure like the Daikin AC, because the Daikin app is total crap.

1 Like

Same for me :slight_smile:

BTW: This story with Gardena reminds me a lot about the downtime of eQ-3 / Homematic IP some time back, where a server-induced downtime resulted in some users not being able to control their lights / heaters / shades anymore. :grinning: Even Heise picked it up back then.

Correct, another option would be to work only with local APIs (as I do with my weatherstation, philips hue, conbee, shelly, etc…). Unfortunately gardena has no local API which is really disappointing :tired_face:

1 Like

Hmmm. I stucked in „Error 400 Bad Request, {“error”:“invalid_request”,“error_description”:“Blocked for too many login-attempts”,“error_code”:“user.is.blocked”}“

I create a new API Key but it don‘t solve this. Any hints?
Thank you.

Which version of the binding are you using? There was a change at the server from logins based on email and password (in OH v3.3) to logins based on an api secret (in OH v3.4).

I used the 3.3 version. I thought the problem was fixed on the Gardena API as well. I will try the 3.4 snapshot shortly.

I have to check the installation process. Never installed a single add-on via JAR file. Could someone explain the process?

Regards,
Tim

Yes.

Yes. Use your ZIP application to open the KAR

No. Copy it to the addons folder.

Not necessary.

EDIT:

But before you do that, you should use Main UI to uninstall the regular v3.3 binding…

1 Like