Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL

Continuing the discussion from Collection of working z-wave configs to keep that thread clean:

The warning is probably caused because for some reason you are requesting a status update of the sensors, but this is not supported by the device, so the binding doesn’t generate the request, and you get this warning. It probably shouldn’t be a warning, but that’s what causes it.

I’m not sure why this would actually occur here though as it doesn’t look like you have polling enabled for this device (which is the usual reason for this warning). If you want to provide a debug log I’ll take a look - up to you…

Chris

Thank you Chris,

i think the Warning is only when i save the item file.

2015-08-22 18:12:21.101 [INFO ] [c.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'wohnzimmer.items'
2015-08-22 18:12:21.124 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.172 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.174 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.177 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.181 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.186 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.189 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.194 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
2015-08-22 18:12:21.198 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - NODE 2: Generating message failed for command class = SWITCH_MULTILEVEL

All works fine. Thank you for the Binding by the way.
What is the Status of Habmin 2 ?? :smile:
I use it with openHAB 1 at the moment.

Ah - ok, that makes sense. During the initialisation the binding does a “DYNAMIC” phase where it proactively requests updates on anything it thinks it can update. It will try to poll for these items, and then the command class will return null to say it’s not possible, and this warning is generated…

It’s work in progress, but it will be heading more toward openHAB2 in future… There are a number of improvements to the currently released version, but mostly associated with OH2 functionality. When the new OH2 ZWave binding gets released (which needs a new function in ESH so it might be a few weeks yet) then I will also release a new HABmin2 to go with it.

Cheers
Chris

2 Likes

Just wanted to say thanks to Chris for answering this question. I’m new to OpenHAB and ZWave and at first was confused by this same error/warning message. When you are new and trying to figure things out cuz they aren’t working, everything becomes a potential troubleshooting path. Like the OP, I started to ignore this message once things started working (because of other configuration tweaks) but glad to have the reason behind it made public.

1 Like