Generic MQTT thing, can't get channel to feed data to item

I have a Glow IHD connected to my SMETS2 electricity meter. I have the Glow connected to my wifi and have configured it to connect to my MQTT broker and can see messages from it appear in MQTTExplorer in Windows. So far so good.

I created a generic MQTT thing in my OH4.1 install and have been able to create a channel to read data from the glow//STATE topic using the following transformation:

JSONPATH:$.timestamp

The MQTT payload for the STATE topic looks like this:

{"timestamp":"2024-03-23T09:41:04Z","software":"v1.9.1","hardware":"GLOW-IHD-01-1v4-SMETS2","wifistamac":"<redacted>","smetsversion":"SMETS2","eui":"<redacted>","zigbee":"1.2.5","han":{"rssi":-58,"status":"joined","lqi":168}}

All good.

The info that I’m actually interested in is in a different topic: glow/<GLOW MAC ADDRESS>/SENSOR but I can’t seem to configure a channel to read anything from there. A payload from that topic looks like:

{
	"electricitymeter": {
		"timestamp": "2024-03-23T09:42:46Z",
		"energy": {
			"export": {
				"cumulative": 0.0,
				"units": "kWh"
			},
			"import": {
				"cumulative": 259.693,
				"day": 14.2,
				"week": 134.644,
				"month": 259.693,
				"units": "kWh",
				"mpan": "1610027686030",
				"supplier": "Octopus Energy",
				"price": {
					"unitrate": 0.2844,
					"standingcharge": 0.4977
				}
			}
		},
		"power": {
			"value": 1.239,
			"units": "kW"
		}
	}
}

I’ve configured the correct topic (using SENSOR instead of STATE) and tried reading the electricity meter power value using JSONPATH:$.electricitymeter.power.value or the timestamp using JSONPATH:$.electricitymeter.timestamp but the linked item is never updated. I’ve tried using a number item and a string item for the power value and a datetime and string item for the timestamp but never see an update arrive. MQTT explorer shows the values being updated every ten seconds which is confirmed by the item linked to the STATE timestamp data.

I must be something stupid, can anyone suggest what I’m missing?

Are you sure, you try to read from the correct topic? Can you tell us the topic you use in the channel?

Thanks for your question, it made me check everything again and I wasn’t using the correct topic for the sensor data. I was using

glow/<GLOW MAC ADDRESS>/SENSOR

However, I should have been using

glow/<GLOW MAC ADDRESS>/SENSOR/electricitymeter

Now I have everything working! Thank you :slight_smile: