Getting multiple ecobee

I have two ecobee 3 thermostats, one for upstairs and one down. What do I need to change / add in order for me to be able to use both thermostats. I am a little new to openhab, love what I see so far but just need a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks

If you have registered all thermostats under the same account at ecobee.com, all you need are the thermostat IDs as described in the wiki page to supply to the binding strings in your items file. The binding figures out what API calls to make based on your item bindings.

If instead your thermostats are registered under different accounts at ecobee.com, you need to set up two instances as described in the wiki. Let me know if this isn’t enough to go on.

Thanks… so in the ecobee.items file I just need to copy everything and change the ID’s? I thought I do this but things weren’t working right. I don’t need to do anything to any of the other files? What would distinguish one thermostat’s info from the other in the sitemap file?

I have both thermostats on the same account.

Nevermind, I think I figured it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 Like

John,

Thanks for all your work on this binding.

I too have 2 Ecobee 3 units. I set up the sitemap but had to add a 1 after the variables and got it work.is this the way to do it ?

Tom

I’m not sure I understand. Could you provide some examples?

John,

Here is my sitemap. The one strange thing is it lastModified1 prints last mod on my site and doesn’t show date and time. Is this done correctly ?

I am a beginner and really appreciate the amount of help that you extend to everyone.

Thanks,

Tom

sitemap ecobee label=“Ecobee”
{
Frame label=“Main floor Thermostat” {
Text item=lastModified
Text item=actualTemperature
Text item=actualHumidity
Switch item=hvacMode label=“HVAC Mode” mappings=[heat=Heat,cool=Cool,auto=Auto,off=Off]
Text item=currentClimateRef
Switch item=desiredComf mappings=[sleep=Sleep,wakeup=Wake,home=Home,away=Away,smart6=Gym,resume=Resume]
Setpoint item=desiredTemp label=“Temp [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==heat,hvacMode==cool]
Setpoint item=desiredHeat label=“Heat [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==auto]
Setpoint item=desiredCool label=“Cool [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==auto]
}

Frame label=“Bedroom Thermostat” {
Text item=lastModified1
Text item=actualTemperature1
Text item=actualHumidity1
Switch item=hvacMode1 label=“HVAC Mode” mappings=[heat=Heat,cool=Cool,auto=Auto,off=Off]
Text item=currentClimateRef1
Switch item=desiredComf1 mappings=[sleep=Sleep,wakeup=Wake,home=Home,away=Away,smart6=Gym,resume=Resume]
Setpoint item=desiredTemp1 label=“Temp [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==heat,hvacMode==cool]
Setpoint item=desiredHeat1 label=“Heat [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==auto]
Setpoint item=desiredCool1 label=“Cool [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==auto]
}

Frame label=“Bedroom Sensors” {
Text item=bedroomTemperature
Text item=bedroomHumidity
Text item=bedroomOccupancy
}

Frame label=“Main Floor Sensors” {
Text item=mainfloorTemperature
Text item=mainfloorHumidity
Text item=mainfloorOccupancy
}
}

1 Like

Hi Tom,

I understand now – you were asking about what to name the items, like “hvacMode” and “hvacMode1” item names. You can name them anything, ideally keeping it to letters and numbers and the underscore _ character. In your case you could name items like MainDesiredTemp, BedroomDesiredTemp, MainActualTemperature, etc. It’s totally up to you, but the items are defined in files with names ending in “.items” and then those individual items are referenced by their names in your “.sitemap” files. Take a look at your “.items” file and make sure you have defined a “lastModified1” item correctly, as the possible explanation of why it’s not showing properly on the sitemap.

Thanks for your help, John.

1 Like

Yea I did it by just appending a U for upstairs nothing for my ground floor and B for the basement