Google Home connection issues

do i need to follow this link and follow the instructions?

That just points to the OH page in the Google Assistant documentation.

I’ve been assuming that you followed the Setup & Usage on Google Assistant App instructions further down the page.

Did you have GA working with your old system? Or is this your first attempt to set it up?

Only one thing I could mention here: please make sure that the linked items have a state that is not NULL when first connecting.

I will be so happy and simultaneously annoyed if this is the answer.

1 Like

Please remember that I’ve only recently created a new text file based build on a new SD Card. This includes bindings and associated config for zwave, powermax, astro, tplink, hue, mqtt, network, rfxcom.

This issue log shows only some of the things I’ve tried in order to get OH and GA connected.

Coupe of hours ago I decided to create yet another fresh build, the first difference is there’s a new Openhabian build, hopefully this isn’t what fixed my problem.

After initial start up process, I went straight to adding the cloud connector and created a basic item in the UI and changed its status from ‘Null’ to ‘On’ .
I then tried t configured the uuid and secret on myopenhab.
Then I went to Google Home on my phone, followed the process to add Openhab, and it worked.
I then copied all my config files back from my previous build, and all items appeared in GA/GH.

The comment above stated you shouldn’t have an item with a Null state upon first trying to add Openhab to GA. I think I probably did have items with that state.

1 Like

Yeah, if you never toggled your switch item, then it was almost certainly NULL. Glad you got it working, but sorry you went through all of that.

@michikrug, would it be worth adding a note about this in the docs, perhaps here?

Is like to do some testing over the next few days to recreate this issue. My experience appears to be that once you’ve tried to add OH to GA with a Null value, you’re forever affected by this problem and the only way to recover is to start with a fresh build.
That’s a lot of work for some people, I’d like to understand exactly why this happens in this way, would be great to try a d get to root cause and resolve.

1 Like

Who can help me with this please? I’m more then happy to pull together whatever like etc

Honestly, I’m not sure how much there is to gain by digging any further, as there are a few possibilities from “remove/reinstall the cloud connector” to “clear the cache” to “start all over again with a fresh build”.

1 Like

Bumping an old thread, but for posterity and anyone who may follow – I had been struggling along the same lines as @BigCol – 3 weeks of “why won’t it show up?!!”. Turning the appliance on (a Rotel pre-amp), and then triggering a refresh via the Google Home app did the trick (adding as “works with google” then selecting “check for new devices” on already linked openhab account). Simplest thing in the world when you know to look for it. Thanks all (@BigCol @rpwong) for leaving some tracks to follow.