Google Home Speaker - say/playSound without "start sound"?

Dear Openhabians,

in order to make my home unnecessarily geeky, I have it play sounds and say stuff over my Google home mini speaker as audio sink.
So far, that works really great - only one small thing is very annoying: Every time (or better, almost every time) I send a playSound or say command, the audio will start off with (I think) Googles notification start sound (a short jingle).
Now my question is: Is there any way to turn that off? I have looked in the Google home app, and there are settings for a start and end sound, but these seem to apply to voice interaction only.
Also, setting it to night mode did not help.
Is anybody experiencing the same or is there a solution to that?

Thank you so much!

All the best,

Bob

I also use my chromecast audio and my nest hub as a audio sink for openhab and have the same issue. I think there is no way to turn these sounds off :frowning:

Hi Felix,
thanks for your answer! I feel like the google speaker does this jingle everytime it enters the play mode - when I play several sounds after another there won’t be a jingle. After some pause, it will jingle the next time I play something.

I feel like there’s no way to work around it right now… :frowning:

I think so too

Exactly. You can see this behaviour with the chromecast binding. The audio sink / openhab connects, the speaker talks and after some seconds the connection gets closed.

You can close the connection with sending ON to the stop channel of the device:

*.items:

Switch    Multimedia_NestHub_Stopp   "Stop" {channel="chromecast:chromecast:XXXXX:stop"}

*.rules:

say(text, "googletts:deDEWavenetE", "chromecast:chromecast:XXXXXX") //NestHub
Thread.sleep(3500)
Multimedia_NestHub_Stopp.sendCommand(ON)

This way the “notification” screen disappears after the message and the jingle comes every time so it is more uniformly

1 Like