Gradual migration from Zipabox: primary and secondary controllers, etc

Brilliant. I’ll try that. I have the Silicon Labs software so I should be all set.

Okay cool =) let me know if you need help =)

1 Like

I got as far as point 3 and wrote out the steps as I went. I’ll post them here in case they help anyone:

1. Plug Z-Stick Gen5 into any USB port
  2. Open Z-Wave PC Controller v5.39
  3. Click the gear button (settings). Click the row showing the COM port, then detect, then OK
  4. Click network management
  5. Click Select learn mode and NWI (Classic may also work if the Zipabox is close)
  6. Go to the Zipabox and add device, Z-Wave. Zipabox says “starting exclusion…”. Don’t press anything on the Z-Stick. It will automatically be excluded.
  7. When Zipabox says “starting inclusion”, go back to Z-Wave PC Controller and go into learning mode again. Now the Zipabox will find the Z-Stick.

At this point I got: “Device inclusion completed. Secure inclusion failed”.

I can see the devices in Z-Wave PC Controller, but when I attach the stick to OpenHab, nothing happens. Do I need to add the Z-Stick manually? I tried rebooting. Nothing appears in the logs, so I suspect the stick isn’t being detected. Practical question: all 4 USB ports are occupied, and the Z-Stick is huge, so I’m using an extension cable to attach it. Will this work? How do other people attach it without blocking another USB port?

Incidentally, I have added the Z-Wave binding. :slight_smile:

I tried adding the ZWave controller manually, but I couldn’t see any USB ports to select apart from the ones occupied by the Enocean and RFXcom transceivers. (I use another extension cable for Enocean transceiver, which is also bulky, and it appears to work fine).

I have my stick on a usb extension to get it away from the metal server rack.

So, to clarify:

• The stick won’t be detected automatically? I have to add it manually?
  • Should I see another USB port in the list of ports when adding the stick? (like ttyUSB3)

The Z-Wave binding does not automatically detect the stick or the serial port.

1 Like

OK so I’m a bit lost with the USB port. I tried listing all the devices at the command line but I couldn’t see any additional USB ports apart from the ones where the Enocean and rfxcom devices are connected (and for which I created symlinks).

What OS and what command?
On Linux I usually try dmesg | grep tty In my case I am mainly interested in ttyUSB0 & ttyUSB1. One is Z-Wave & the other is Zigbee. I usually forget & do trial & error but my Z-Wave is /dev/ttyUSB0.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dmesg | grep tty
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: coherent_pool=1M 8250.nr_uarts=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000  console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
[    0.000868] printk: console [tty1] enabled
[    2.510864] 3f201000.serial: ttyAMA0 at MMIO 0x3f201000 (irq = 81, base_baud = 0) is a PL011 rev2
[    6.986765] usb 1-1.1.3: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[    7.013084] usb 1-1.1.3: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB1

1 Like

Linux on the RPi.
I’ll try that command. If I remember correctly, the Enocean and rfxcom were ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB2 when I checked yesterday.

I think I used ls -l /dev - I’d have to check

On UNIX-like systems it has been said that everything is a device. The command I used shows what the OS actually detected.

1 Like

Yep, you get a ton of results.
Ok, sounds promising.

OK I think the problem is that one extension cable works (the one where the Enocean transceiver is connected) but the other, longer one doesn’t. If I do:

ls /dev/serial/by-id

I see the Z-Stick when it’s connected to the other cable. So I’ll need another extension.

1 Like

If you use the aeotec Z-Stick gen5, plug an usb-hub in between…the aeotec stick has issues with pi which keeps it from being discovered (electrical problem inside stick) …https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245031

After plugging, go to paperui, and add the Z-Stick as gateway. It should show a port like /dev/acm0 (additional to ama or something like that). You don’t have to search manually to dmesg normally…if the stick gets discovered, it will show up as serial device when you add the controller to OpenHab.

This should not fail…unless you have secure inclusion turned off…

A device must be freshly reset before it can be securely included into a network.

Yes definitely! @LordLiverpool Be sure to reset the gen5 before you try to add to the Zipabox network…and be sure to exclude before resetting, or mark the device in the zipabox as failed…then try again to reinclude -> secure-inclusion should work then…

I said the DEVICE not the CONTROLLER!!

Yes but when you add the gen5 controller as secondary device to Zipabox, it treats it like a device in their system (Zipabox has really weird behaviour there). Do not reset Zipabox! Only the newly attached gen5 stick…

1 Like