Gradual migration from Zipabox: primary and secondary controllers, etc

Ok, so I should reset it, then repeat the whole rigmarole to include it in the Zipabox, then add it to OpenHab?

Yesā€¦ itā€™s worth a tryā€¦ donā€™t forget to use the usb-hub on the OpenHab site in between gen5ā€¦ especially when you use raspberry pi

I donā€™t know what that means. :thinking:

Incidentally, when using the good extension cable, the Z-Stick appears on ttyACM0

If acm0 appears, you are good to go :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know exactly what youā€™re looking at doing here, but I donā€™t think this will work. There is no security software in the stick - it sounds from this explanation that you are going to try and add the gen5 to the Zipabox, then plug it back in to OH? If so, this will fail.

I donā€™t think it will be possible to add the Gen5 securely to the Zipabox network directly - certainly Iā€™ve never tested this and Iā€™m 99% sure it will fail as I doubt Iā€™ve implemented some parts of the protocol when the binding is receiving the key in the key exchange.

However I also donā€™t think this should be needed. Assuming you are using S0 security, then you should only need to copy over the security key from the Zipato to the binding - assuming this information is available in the Zipato.

If the Zipato network is using S2, then this will not work.

I think you may be mistaken there, since other people have already done it, apparently. I need to get my Z-Wave devices to appear in OpenHab whilst continuing to use the Zipabox until such times as Iā€™ve implemented my (many) rules in OpenHab and finishing integrating all other devices, which is a prerequisite for implementing the rules.

The Z-Stick was apparently included in the Zipabox successfully, and afterwards I saw all the devices appear in the Z-Wave PC Controller software. Since Iā€™ve now set up a symlink, apparently successfully, my next step is to try adding the Z-Stick to OH and see what happens. You donā€™t think it will work?

No this should work properlyā€¦except you have security devicesā€¦I didnā€™t get them to work properly.

But be prepared to get some controlling issues with the OpenHab as secondary controllerā€¦it doesnā€™t work pretty well regardning reaction time. Iā€™ve also heard that Zipabox interferes with secondary controllers to prevent them from sending commandsā€¦zipabox has really strange bahaviour hereā€¦:Z-Wave Binding..."Issues" with Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 [Z-Wave] #1415

Iā€™m not sure if this is correct or not, but one point to note is that many devices only support a single device in the lifeline association group. The lifeline is designed to send reports to the controller, so if you have multiple controllers then it may not be possible to get reporting working properly to all controllers - maybe this is what is meant by ā€œZipabox interferes with secondary controllersā€?

1 Like

I donā€™t really need OH to work particularly well as a secondary controller. I just need to have the devices present so that I can construct the rules around them. Then when I have the rules in place, Iā€™ll switch OH to being the primary - which I assume I can do.

Well, the point is that this may not work - depending on what your rules do - as you may not receive notifications from the devices.

If your rules donā€™t rely on notifications from the device, then it will be ok.

Likely you just need Items, not Device Things. When I migrated I made the Items and set up my Rules. I later linked the Item to a Thing during final migration. i did a cutover migration though.

I think it would be wise to test the rules minimally before switching off a solution that is currently working.

What sort of notifications? Such as about the state of a wall socket, sensor values and the like?

Yes, normally this sort of thing. It depends on the device of course, and if the device supports multiple nodes in the lifeline group then itā€™s not a problem, but many/most devices just support a single node in this group.

No idea. Most of my devices are Fibaro wall sockets and relays. Then a few Aeon multisensors, a Qubino smart meter, some TKB sockets, a SIR timer and a Duwi socket - thatā€™s it.

True You can define the Items as switches & see if they respond to the rules. I used text files for the Items, making them easier to edit.

1 Like

For completeness, here are the initial instructions I followed on Windows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RSPH6UCG0N3WK/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01GJ826F8

1 Like

Thanks. I honestly donā€™t remember now, but I may have done all of that to get the device recognised; I recall needing to install a driver.

1 Like

I just connected the Z-Stick to the good cable. I now have 28 Z-Wave devices to play with. Some unidentified. Letā€™s see if I can figure out which is which.

1 Like

It appears that all the unrecognised devices are Fibaro FGWPE/F-102 wall plugs