Grafana 9.2 - new Canvas plugin allows data driven free-layout dynamic panels

Grafana 9.2 includes beta for Canvas, allowing a whole new set of dashboards

It looks quite good, includes data-driven values, icons, background, colours etc, including animated items - they have an example windpower object that with spin speed dependant on data values.

Doco and example video is here:

I see a whole bunch of possible objects that show state - solar, ev charging, motors, pumps, heaters etc that would be useful for OH dashboard.

I intend making my own dashboard using this, and will share what I do, feel free to do the same.

Even if it is in beta, and has some quirks around resizing the overall display - I did a proof of concept pretty quick, I drew the background in InkScape and then exported as PNG for the background, placing the data is just drag and drop - it seemed to only want to allow me to pick data from the first query, but I did a transform in Grafana to join the three values into one table, which it liked better.

In the demo they have animated wiring, trying to figure out how they did that - ie as minimum the lines connecting the circles should indicate flow direction, but animated is the goal.

2 Likes

Those lines are in the drawing, those are not added by the Canvas feature. They include the drawing from here: https://www.sunnova.com/-/media/Marketing-Components/Infographic/Solar-Storage-For-Non-Export-Markets/Solar-Storage-Export-Outage-Day.ashx

If you create your own custom widget, you can add animated lines with HTML5 canvas or SVG.

Yes.

Grafana 9.3 - They fixed the Canvas icon item and setting from a value threshold, ie you can have different svg icons based on different value threshold.