Group items not updating UI after sending command to group

I’m running OH 2.5.11 on an RPi4. I use BasicUI as my usual interface. I have these items defined:

Switch garage_utility_switch "Outside holiday lights switch" <poweroutlet_us> (gAllHolidayLights) ["Switchable"] {channel="zwave:device:f21cd9de:node59:switch_binary"} 
Switch mantel_utility_switch "Mantel Utility Switch" <poweroutlet_us> (gAllHolidayLights, gInteriorHolidayLights) ["Switchable"] {channel="zwave:device:f21cd9de:node170:switch_binary"}
Switch double_utility_switch_1 "XMas tree utility switch" <poweroutlet_us> (gAllHolidayLights, gInteriorHolidayLights) ["Switchable"] {channel="zwave:device:f21cd9de:node169:switch_binary"}
Switch bedroom_utility_switch "Bedroom utility switch" <poweroutlet_us> ["Switchable"] {channel="zwave:device:f21cd9de:node166:switch_binary"}
Switch evalogik_basement_utility_switch "Basement XMas tree utility Switch" <poweroutlet_us> (gAllHolidayLights, gInteriorHolidayLights) ["Switchable"] {channel="zwave:device:f21cd9de:node167:switch_binary"}
Switch main_lr_holiday_lights_switch "Living Room Holiday Lights" <poweroutlet_us> (gAllHolidayLights) ["Switchable"] 

The groups are defined as such:

Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF) gAllHolidayLights
Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF) gInteriorHolidayLights

When sending an ON/OFF command to say, the ‘gInteriorHolidayLights’, the lights will toggle their state as needed, but their respective switches in the UI do not update. I can refresh the page, and the correct states are displayed. My understanding with groups is that a command is issued to each item in a group. That should cause the UI to update, a postUpdate for each item should be needed, correct? I get the same behavior with the other group ‘gAllHolidayLights’
Thanks

Yep.

Nope. The UI should be listening for Item state updates, and ignores commands.
Having said that, your Items are probably subsequently getting a state update from the autoupdate feature and/or from the real device, and that seems to be confirmed by getting the expected display on refresh.

All UIs are not equal,though. What are you using, browser, app?

Thanks for the reply. This makes sense. An as you say, I would expect the device to send an update after a state change. I believe that would be governed by the ‘Command Poll Period’. For these devices, the default of 1500 is set. In any case, it looks like the issue is with Safari, in Chrome, the switches update their states correctly.

Thanks again

1 Like

Also, for Z-Wave it depends on the device but most modern devices should send status updates.

1 Like