Groups using OH3 UI

Hi All

I had a number of text file based groups for items, with functions such as :confused:
Number:MAX

I cant seem to locate how to configure these in a new item group in OH3. Does it exist? The documentation doesnt appear to reflect how to do it either

Any pointers?

Thx

Create the Item By clicking the + icon from the Item’s page and select “Add Item”.

Give the Item a reasonable name and label. The name cannot be changed later.

Select Type and choose Group.

New fields will appear to set the Group Type and add members to the Group.

Select an appropriate Base Type, in your case Number I guess.

A third new field will appear asking for the aggregation function.

1 Like

Perfect!! Thanks Rich!

Does the function exist to add a Transformation map onto it in the UI?

It depends on what you mean by that. If you want to transform the way the state appears in the various parts of the UI, set the “State Description” metadata and you can apply a transformation just like you do with the Item labels on the sitemap.

For example, here I am changing the units for a Number:Time Item to minutes and setting it to use only two decimal places.

You can add transformations there as well.

This is the case for any Item, not just Groups.

OK, well my group displays numbers, 1 = GOOD, 2 = BAD, its for displaying the status of my RAID array. By aggregating the disk state.

So under ‘Pattern’ I would simply enter snmp.map? Which has my definitions or this?

Just as you would for the Item label in 2.5 between the .

MAP(snmp.map):%s

Or it looks like you can provide the map on the Item itself. I’ve not looked into the State Description apparently. Does that screen shot work?

Unforunately not, the items are OK but the group is not

When configured as such, the group says UNDEF, even using %s under ‘pattern’ is the same. My items have the individual state description on them

So, what im trying to do is my disks displays numbers so my group is a Number:MAX

Then I’ve got my options to convert the numbers

Is there any actual documentation with examples on meta data and using Transformation on groups/items?

I put my transformation in the item state metadata pattern for each channel if they’re listed somewhere seperate. If you put the item state transformation in the group you will need to make sure you use the group state calculations in the group’s edit screen for its child functions.

Thanks Christopher, but if the group is set to NUMBER:MAX, and the Item transformation changes from 1 to GOOD, using the Item Transformation, then that won’t work right? The group receives numbers, not strings

From my understanding yes. Because in OH2.5, we could transform in the sitemap too.
You might be able to have item transformations only in a page/widget instead.

1 Like

Is any of this stuff documented though anywhere???

Hi Rich,
I can’t get my MAP file to work when I reference it in the Pattern window. I typed in literally MAP(rain.map):%s without any quote marks. All my OH2 map files are present in the OH3 folder.
It worked fine in OH2 and was just a transformation between the state of a contact, OPEN or CLOSED and Dry or Raining.
The map file seems to be ignored when placed into the Pattern window, BUT if I use the Options window and insert CLOSED=Dry and OPEN=Raining it does work.
Can you advise please? regards

1 Like

Did you install the Map transformation?

Hi, I did indeed and have even restarted OH3 there :thinking:

Also Rich, I have other complex transformations to convert wind directions to compass points and wind speeds to the Beaufort scale. These won’t even work now when pasted into the options window of the metadata. These transformations use brackets symbols for ranges of ‘greater than’ and ‘less than’ 
] and [ 
 So is there a bug with transformations in general with OH3 items? My transformations worked perfectly in OH2.

Very old thread I know. But when I was searching about groups in the OH3 UI I stumbled across this. Just for any other guy wondering how “add members to the Group” should work with Items (only groups are selectable there) - just assign the items to the group - as usual: go to the item and select the new group here as parent.