Habdroid Notifications tab missing

I no longer have access to the Notifications tab on my Hamburger/Flyout menu in openHAB Android 1.8.0.8 925). My flyout now has Sitemaps, Discovery, and Bindings, but no more access to Notifications.

I still see all my notifications on the https://myopenhab.org/notifications interface, but I can no longer see them on Android at all. I use the sendLogNotification(“blah blah blah”) command pretty heavily so I can keep an eye on what’s going on, but now I can’t see it from Android anymore.

Is it just me?

No.

@digitaldan Are you the maintainer for openHAB Android?

Will the Notification tab functionality come back or is it gone for good?

Hi, I wonder about the same. Maybe @digitaldan can answer?

Hi, the functionality is not removed, so I assume this is a bug. I have not had a chance to look a it yet (or really anything OH related) for the last week or two, I’m hoping to get some time this weekend. In the mean time I went ahead and opened an issue for it, https://github.com/openhab/openhab.android/issues/356

3 Likes

For some reason, this bug was closed, but it definitely wasn’t fixed.

And now over on https://github.com/openhab/openhab.android/issues/392 there’s talk of removing the entire “side menu”, which is assume is the Flyout menu?

@Kai, am I understanding this correctly?

Any chance of getting the Notifications tab back?

No, only “Bindings” and “Inbox” menues were removed, but this change has not yet been rolled out.

OK, thanks.

What about getting Notifications back into the app? I was so happy when they were added, because that was one of Smartthings major advantages to me, to be able to see my event history. But now it’s gone… and the ticket was closed.

Can we re-open that ticket, or should I open a whole new one?

Isn’t it closed, because it has just been fixed in the code? So there is no point in re-opening it, all you have to do is to wait for the next release (or build an apk yourself).

I misread the date on the fix, sorry!

Will wait for the update, probably won’t have time to setup a build environment for a while.

Hi everyone,

Today we are in 2023 and I still have this problem (with server version 3.4.4 and older). I think there is still a bug somewhere… I will try to update my server to version 4.0.0 to see if it will come back… (On new servers (4.0.0), the tab appears while (in the same app while juggling servers) on old servers (3.4.4), the tab does not appear!).

It will only appear if a remote connection is configured for the currently active server and the remote connection points to an openhab-cloud instance.

1 Like

Oh yes! Effectively! Thank you so much! It’s a bit silly I think because I have a remote connection with a domain name of my own which points directly to my server (without going through myopenhab). I previously configured myopenhab before to receive the notifications then I replaced by my domain name. And now that I put back (and so I will leave it) myopenhab, the tab is back but I no longer have a direct connection :face_with_diagonal_mouth:.

It’s unfortunate, but the only way to meaningfully deal with that situation, as

• most people use myopenhab
  • the notifications come from the openhab-cloud API, not the OH instance

To solve your scenario, we’d need configuration of 3 connections (local, remote, cloud), which would complicate things even further.

Yes yes, I agree, in the meantime I found a solution, I put my remote address locally and leave myopenhab remote. And I configured a local DNS so that when I’m at home, it points directly to the server :innocent:.

1 Like