Habmin2 no items in rule editor

Hi,

I think I am missing something, I have installed openhab2, I have added habmin 2, I have setup the binding for my samsung TV and Yahoo weather.

When I go into the habmin rule editor an drag in a item piece, then click the drop down selection I only get 3 options, items, Rename variable and New Variable. I was expecting to select one of the items for example the temperature item.

I am rather new to this, so any help would be great.

You have to replace the “item” with the name of the item you want to use. If you can’t remember your naming convention, go to the Thing Configuration page, choose the Thing you want to use and then under channel if you hover over the item you get a copy to clipboard icon to the right. Then in the rule editor, click the drop arrow next to item, choose “rename variable” and type or paste in the item name.

I suspect that it’s still a work in progress for @Chris and I think I saw a post that he was waiting on some new rules engine code in OH2 before reworking it. I was going to make the suggestion to @Chris that it would be helpful if you could copy the item name from some of the other screens, but at least in Chrome I’m unable to highlight to copy them. Not sure what is causing that.

Thanks @rgerrans - that’s all correct with respect to the item names.

There is an issue that means it’s not creating the rules correctly - I will try and take a look at this over the coming days. This is of course only for generating the old rules - I need to find some more time to generate the new rules as I’ve not looked at that at all yet…

Thanks @rgerrans - that’s all correct with respect to the item names.

There is an issue that means it’s not creating the rules correctly - I will try and take a look at this over the coming days. This is of course only for generating the old rules - I need to find some more time to generate the new rules as I’ve not looked at that at all yet…

Thanks for the help, I’ve been able to create a rule. I just need to test it now.

Sorry… Old thread I know. But I’l having exactly this issue. An Habmin doesn’t let me either paste to type an item name into the field or type anything in there.

How exalt do I get the item to appear in the item selector? I’m afraid it’s not obvious to me…

Hello travellingkiwi,

did you find a solution? I have now the same problem.

I sometime see only those item, which I created in Habmin, but no other items. That makes no sense.

regards
Bjoern

No sorry, I gave up in the end. I do Rules by hand now. Blockly is less than a gimick in HABmin (In fact HABmin is barely even working. The best result I ever got was that it’s old and the maintainer doesn’t have time. So I gave up on it and stopped wasting my time)

H

I have read sometime ago that the habmin rule editor should not be used anymore.
You can use the one in paperUI but I highly recommend taking the plunge and try your hand at writing them in text files.
Far more powerful and flexible.
Have a go, break things…
And if it doesn’t work, I am sure someone tried it before and found the solution, here, on the forum. Reads the docs, search the forum. If you get stuck, post your code and ask for help. That’s what we are here for.

Good luck.