HabPanel Performance issues on a Tablet with Fully Kiosk Browser

I don’t remember the (dis-)advantages of either FKB or HPV, but I do remember, that for my use case FKB was the better choice after trying both.

It’s quite a while ago, so another try might make sense.

hello,
yesterday morning I had another idea. I now have Habpanel Viewer running as a App managed by Fully. So I still have Fully to make motion detection, Battery stats, etc. but I do have Habpanel Viewer which seems to be better in keeping performance.
I startet this test on two of my tablets. Both seem to be faster and more responsive, however do behave a bit different… Perhaps someone else has time to start such a test to get some more experiences?

thanks
martin

hello,
brief update, i ran around 3 or even 4 days now with HabpanelViewer started as an App out of Fully Kiosk Browser. I haven’t seen my performance issues till now. Even if the Screen is off for hours, Habpanel Performance is OK after screen turned ON again.
It seems that HabpanelViewer Browser implementation is a bit slower for Habpanel than it is in Chrome/FullyBrowser, but it’s useable and OK.
Today I migrated my last tablet in this scenario and hopefully I can soon close this issue :slight_smile:

for the sake of completness, i also tried this new FullyAppKiosk App. Idea of the App is good, it holds one App and puts a Kiosk around. Snce it offers nearly the same API as FullyKioskBrowser it was more or less integrated into my system after install. As App i started HabPanelViewer. Was working but since I had issues with TTS i moved back to above mentioned (Fully Kiosk Browser with running HabPanelViewer as an App)

And one more, during my investigations I found a thing called Chuwi HI 10 Air. A Windows based Tablet, like a Surface, but much cheaper. I played around a bit with it, installed some linux and perhaps this could also be the next gen of my Smarthome Displays. If i find some time I’ll write a separate article about it.

cheers
martin

1 Like

Now I remember the (for me important) difference:
Locking the screen!
When I am away, I can lock the fully screen and there is no option to control OH unless I know the pin code of Fully.
When locking the screen on HPV, it only becomes dark, but can be revived with the power button and is operational. That’s unfortunate if someone breaks into my house.

I am currently running HPV and am very happy with the performance.
What I did was:

1. Disable power safe mode in Android battery settings (as mentioned above)
  2. Installed Habpanel + habpanel-filter (for 2.5 stable) from here:
    [SOLVED] HABPanel sluggish - #28 by arctus

However, because I like the functions of Fully better, I will switch over again to compare the performance on the current settings.
This might take a while.

some for me, I’m still running HPV as an App in Fully. Performance is quite good, and I can make usage of all the Fully Features.
But, there are still two things to investigate…
Firstly, I seems that HPV reacts a bit slower than Fully Browser and Chrome itself. It’s not the same Performance Issue as before, but when I press a button it take some more milliseconds to react. Did you, or someone else, experience the same?
Secondly, Running HPV as an App in Fully seems to be more unstable on my tablets, meaning that either Fully or HPV crashes. Anyone out there which a comment on HPV stability after running a couple of days 24 hours a day?

@martin111, I’m just curious how performance been since you last posted about this issue. Are you still running HPV as an app in FKB?

Hello,
yep, I’m still running HPV as an app in FKB.
From a performance perspective it’s actually quite good, although I feel that HPV is a bit slower than a browser, like chrome, and also as the webview implementation in FKB. But performance is always the same.

however, although performance is ok, I’m not happy yet.
I have to run both apps not in kiosk mode (in any other combination it’s not working) and restarts (on error) are not working properly, meaning sooner or later my FKB crashes and although HPV still runs, the features I require from FKB are not availabe anymore,…

What’s also missing is, that I cannot change the dashboard remotly. I know that I can associate some items to control HPV but afaik this needs to be done on the tablet, which is perhaps ok for the 4 tablets I have right now, but I want to increase this number :slight_smile:

so, meanwhile I started to work on some alternatives, but not there yet :slight_smile:

I am running a ASUS tablet with Android 6.0 and full HD display.
Habpanelviewer is for me slower than the Fullykiosk browser. So I am using the Fully.
It works good, but I found that running charts drains the performance. I had a chart with displaying 5 items in life update mode. This nearly brings habpanel down to no more response after 1h or so.
Now I reduced to 2 items in the chart and it works ok, maybe 1-2 sec delay. After a reload of the page the performance is back immediately.
I see the same behaviour on a WIN10 PC with chrome browser.
So there is some performance issue with charts in Habpanel.

Compile Chromium yourself after removing features you know you’ll never use. I use this quite efficiently even on an orange pi zero

sounds interesting. I’m running some tests on a raspberry pi zero, working fine there too, once it started I do not observe the issues I face on an android tablet …:slight_smile:

Thanks for the update. It feels like what we really need is a way to force Android Webview to seek updates instead of relying on cached data, or perhaps just disable the cache entirely. That’s a little beyond my skill set, though.

I disabled all caches via FKB - not sure it it really disables all caches, but at least form a configuration point of view FKB shouldn’t cache anything.,