HABPanelViewer 0.9.27

are there any plans for an iOS Version?

Unfortunately, nothing could be reused and a new app would have to be written from ground up in a language that i do not know. I am still putting a lot of time into learning android development.

Besides, I am lacking the use case, as my ipad is always blocked by my kids playing games :wink: . So I am out, sorry.

1 Like

What about having a Look into React Native or NativeScript. Both will build iOS and Android app from the same source.

1 Like

I think the point that @vbier was making is not that it can’t be done but that he is still learning android development and what has already been done to date is platform specific therefore you’d be back to starting again.

Personally I’m not a mobile platform developer expert either, I just had a play for a few days with React/NodeJS and compiled to test a one or two page screen with random content. It wasn’t that challenging to do but it was a useless app and I certainly didn’t feel comfortably in control of what I was doing so back to the other point @vbier was making is it would still be a new language to him hence another learning curve.

I suspect if a cross platform version was to have any hope of getting started and then catching up to where this app is already at any time soon we need an experienced mobile developer. The cross platform tools are pretty impressive but they are also an abstraction layer and the app has some quite reasonable demands on the hardware around the motion detection and stuff so you need to be careful around the platform selection. You want ease of development but there’s a possibility you may also need to get under the hood with platform specific variations. An experienced mobile developer could probably advise whats best from their knowledge base but the rest of us would have to do that research before even starting.

Then we need to talk about who’s going to do release management and signing of any App you want to run on an iDevice through the App Store. The Android version can get away without it if apk installs are enable but I don’t think you can do that in Apples world, it has it’s advantages for security reasons but just adds more work to a project like this.

I suspect if someone could deliver a new project tomorrow or next week that was cross platform and contained the existing features already active in this one you might find the likes of @vbier may consider switching over to join in. But at the moment it looks like he’s put in a fair amount of effort to get this off the ground and he’s starting to see rewarding results and he doesn’t want to take a three to four month diversion to research, learn and rewrite.

Everything is possible :pray: but needs some additional resource to get hands on and start it or wait until…

4 Likes

I have a problem related to this app, i get the error "err_name_not_resolved
The same error when i try to reach openhab by firefox or chrome on my phone / tablet.

Yet when using my laptop / pc wired and wireless i have no problem.

What makes it different when reaching by phone/tablet or laptop ? and how to solve it ?

1 Like

Is there a possibillity to get this app into play store?

So it would be easily get updates without the need to do this manually?

Is your tablet on same wifi/network as PC? What if you put in server by IP instead of name. ex. http://192.168.1.x:8080 ?

I would think that would be likely/possibility once it gets a little more tested/mature.

Yes it is. I tried all the combo’s, same problem.

I can reach my router (192.168.1.1).

As this has nothing to do with the topic, it would be smarter to create a separate thread.

Have you configured your router in a way that it allows your tablet to access other devices in your network?

I did but nobody is reacting, so i thought to asked here also.

I can reach my router/ap’s/qnap with my phone/tablet, just not the openhab (i can reach the raspberry by using ssh with my phone)

I have just pushed an update that waits for network connection before loading the page.

1 Like

Another app update. Thanks to @miker the app should now be compatible with android 4.4+. Note that some functionality will be disabled for older android versions. This is described in the Readme.

I also added live update of entries in the Status Information.

1 Like

Tried to use the HABPanelViewer on my Android 4.4 Phone, however I’m stuck at the page “Webpage not available”. What makes me curious is that it seems to be asking for http://openhabianpi:8080
My system isn’t named such! Why is the app calling the system by this name? Yes, the initial name was openhabianpi, but I changed it!
I’m connecting via VPN and can have a look onto HABPanel via the browser using the correct name!

Have you changed the URL in the settings? Openhabianpi ist not hard coded in the app, and when i change it in the settings it works as it should.

Stupid question, which settings?
I just put the .app on the phone , installed and this page is coming up.
For me there is no 9 possible way to select any settings while using the app ( neither on the mentioned page nor by pressing or long pressing a hardware button. ).

1 Like

Swipe right starting from the left edge of the screen to pull the menu open.

Sorry, I didn’t think of that way.
I was more focused on the android ways to show a menu, which do change from device to device.
It is working now, although I have no idea where the original name of the system would have been saved.

This is the default value for the url setting.

I am currently implementing mDNS discovery of the openHAB server, and will remove this once the discovery works. This makes it easier for new installs, where the app will find the openHAB server automatically on the LAN.

2 Likes

Hi, after I changed the URL I only get a black screen (with the nav buttons in the bottom) Menu works ok. Restarting the app did not help.
Any clue?