HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR with Sandy Beach Zigbee radiator TRV

I’m trying to add a Sandy Beach Retailing zigbee radiator valve to Openhab but when it’s added I only get as far as this error in the UI:

HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR
No supported clusters found

and I wonder if anyone else has had more success with this, or can suggest what I can do to make it work.

What brand/model it might really be beyond the packaging isn’t entirely clear… but it’s this one: Sandy Beach Smart Heating Anthracite Thermostat TRV Radiator Valves wi – Sandy Beach Retailing

I’m trying to get this one to work because, aesthetically, it’s one of the few smart TRVs that’s available in a colour other than white and this one is available in “anthracite” (mid grey) which matches my radiator.

Here’s what I’m doing:

Openhab 3.3.0 is running from an Openhabian installation on a Raspberry Pi. I’ve used openhabian-config to update the system, and rebooted.

I’m using a Popp zigbee usb stick that I previously upgraded to :

openhabian@openhab:~/elelabs-zigbee-ezsp-utility $ python3 Elelabs_EzspFwUtility.py probe -p /dev/ttyUSB0
2022/02/14 22:51:59 Elelabs_EzspFwUtility: Elelabs Zigbee adapter detected:
2022/02/14 22:51:59 Elelabs_EzspFwUtility: Adapter: ELU013
2022/02/14 22:51:59 Elelabs_EzspFwUtility: Firmware: 6.10.3-41
2022/02/14 22:51:59 Elelabs_EzspFwUtility: EZSP v8
openhabian@openhab:~/elelabs-zigbee-ezsp-utility $

I’ve turned on zigbee debug via openhab-cli console as follows:
openhab> log:set debug org.openhab.binding.zigbee
openhab> log:set debug com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
openhab> log:set info com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember.internal.ash

Then I scan within the binding to add a new thing, and put the radiator valve into add mode.

I press buttons on the valve to try to keep it awake because I’ve come across thigns going to sleep too soon before (and that probably spams the log… sorry about that if you’ve taken the trouble to look). The Thing is discovered.

I add it as a thing… still trying to keep it awake with button presses.

The Thing is added, but with status Offline and error:

HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR
No supported clusters found

Neither deleting the Thing and trying again, nor leaving the Thing for several hours (with occasional wake-up button presses) made any improvements.

Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting this to work? or is it a case of the device supports Zigbee but really it only works with its own gateway due to something non-standard in the implementation ? The manual acknowledges the possibility of pairing with Zigbee networks other than their own gateway including “Sandy Beach Retailing smart valved work best with our gateway, but may work with other Tuya compatible gateways.” which is encouraging but only up to a point!

Here’s the log from just before starting the scan to just after the Thing was reported as Offline with HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR in the UI. Somewhere around 20:16:22 is where I add the discovered Thing.

openhab.log (731.1 KB)

Thanks for reading this far!

Andrew

At first glance it looks like this is a very non-standard device, so the problem is the binding doesn’t know anything about how to control this.

This shows the clusters, and there aren’t any “useful” ones - which is what the binding is complaining about. By this I mean we have nothing like a thermostat cluster, or switch etc - only this EF00 cluster which is a manufacturer specific cluster.

My guess is this might be a rebranded Tuya which is not a zigbee device - it uses part of the standard, but the main control is not zigbee. It could in theory be added to the binding - we have support for some Tuya devices, or using zigbee2mqtt might be an alternative if they already have support for this device.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for such a speedy and comprehensive response.

I’ll investigate zigbee2mqtt, but sending it back to the supplier might be my best option here! (Or buying the vendor’s own gateway… but if I start doing that I’ll soon have a dozen gateways and that way sounds crazy.)

Kind regards,
Andrew

After some research this TRV looks like it might be a rebadged Tuya HY367, which is supported by zigbee2mqtt. So I added an additional zigbee stick to my openhabian box and did a bit of tinkering to get zigbee2mqtt working with openhab… and I seem to have control of the TRV now.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.