Harmony Hub Elite to Control Zwave Lighting?

All-

I just got my Harmony Hub Elite working with Openhab. I would like to use the remote to control my Zwave lighting through Openhab, which I am running on a Raspberry Pi 2. I am contemplating three options and would like your advice on the best way to go:

(1) Attempt to create activities in the Harmony Hub that could be read by the Pi via the Harmony binding into a string (Harmony_Activity). A rule would adjust the lighting based on what is received on the input string.

(2) Purchase an IR sensor for the Pi and program the Harmony Hub to signal to the Pi via the IR blasters.

(3) Purchase a Bluetooth sensor and link the hub to the pi via Bluetooth. My cursory read of the Harmony docs suggests this would function as a wireless keyboard.

I know the Harmony Hub can control Zwave lighting with the Hub Extender, but I would rather not go that route, as I am already controlling the lighting with an Aeon Zstick 2. While not perfect, that works.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Many thanks,

-Mark

Well, if you are willing to go to OH2 I might have a solution for you. The Hue Emulator IO binding will expose OH2 items to Hue compatible accessories like the Harmony. I have only tested so far with the Amazon Echo, but since I have 4 Harmony Hubs, thats the next accessory that will be for sure supported :wink:

Would this meet your needs?

Dan-

I was planning to wait for the official OH2 release before heading there. How would I program the Harmony Hub to access the Hue emulator? The automation macros will look for Hue devices on the WiFi network, and since none exist it will come up empty.

I’m happy to wait, as this is definitely just a luxury - to control lights / sound equipment when my smartphone is not at hand but the Elite remote is.

Many thanks,

-Mark

I believe you can add Hue devices just like any other device (TV, Tivo, etc…), so your OH items would show up as devices available to the Harmony. This would happen automatically when the Harmony Hub searches your network for things. Then you could map buttons to them. Does that make sense? I have been out of town for the last week, when I get back this weekend I plan to test this out.

Dan-

My belief is that the hub searches for wifi and bluetooth devices. My Pi is connected to my router via a Cat5 cable. I’m not sure if the Hue will interrogate the router - if it does, then there should not be a problem.

Many thanks,

-Mark

Of course if Wifi is the only option, I could always get a wifi dongle for the pi :). Let me know how your testing goes.

Many thanks,

-Mark

As long as they are on the same subnet , it should be fine.