Help! My hard drive is suddenly full!

I suddenly have a full harddrive!!
Nothing can write to disk.
Help!

I recently ran an SD sync from the openhabian-config and now my primary drive appears to be full?!?
Seems really weird. How could it be connected?
It can’t have copied itself to itself because even that wouldn’t equal 64GB

I can see from a windows app that there appears to be 61.6GB in a folder called fd in the dev folder, which seems suspiciously like the amount needed to fill my drive, but I can’t click into that folder using windows through a network share.

Raspberry Pi 4
openhabian OS
OpenHab 3.2

When I was SD syncing, I was getting these messages. Then right at the end it runs out of space.

sys/runtime/system/org/openhab/core/bundles/org.openhab.core.model.script.runtime/
/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/srv/openhab-sys/runtime/system/org/openhab/core/bundles/org.openhab.core.model.script.runtime/3.1.0/
/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/srv/openhab-sys/runtime/system/org/openhab/core/bundles/org.openhab.core.model.script.runtime/3.1.0/org.openhab.core.model.script.runtime-3.1.0.jar
/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/srv/openhab-sys/runtime/system/org/openhab/core/bundles/org.openhab.core.model.script/
/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/srv/openhab-sys/runtime/system/org/openhab/core/bundles/org.openhab.core.model.script/3.1.0/
/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/srv/openhab-sys/runtime/system/org/openhab/core/bundles/org.openhab.core.model.script/3.1.0/org.openhab.core.model.script-3.1.0.jar
/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/srv/openhab-sys/runtime/system/org/openhab/core/bundles/org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.ide/
rsync: write failed on "/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/storage/syncmount/srv/openhab-sys/addons/openhab-addons-3.1.0.kar": No space left on device (28)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(374) [receiver=3.1.3]
+ return 11
+ umount /storage/syncmount
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ true
+ show_main_menu

Maybe my harddrive setup is strange.
I have an SSD as the primary drive, mmcblk, which has the boot partition and main partition.
Then I was trying to sync that with the sd card in sda1.

The prompts in the openhabian-config showed me the right names to trust it was going to do the right thing.

this looks like you recursively synced a complete directory tree into itself ?

ok, so it was definitely copying itself in a loop.

Don’t know if my configuration of disks was the cause of the strange behaviour, or if I pressed something wrong.
Anyway, I’ll leave this here in case anyone does the same thing.

There could still be more. My disk seems suspisiuosly full

It copied repeats to ‘storage/syncmount’
can’t delete them easily. Doing most of them manually but etc, and opt folders have permissions or something stopping me deleting them.

I’ve cleared some space now, but openhab wont start.

I’ve tried various combinations of stopping restarting the service, and rebooting the Pi, and even changing the openhab branch in openhabian-config

Analyse the log files located in /var/log resp. /var/log/openhab.
They should be able to tell something about the root cause of the problem or at least give a hint.

Strange. This says open hab is running

openhabian@SaintPiDevice:~ $ sudo systemctl status openhab.service
● openhab.service - openHAB instance, reachable at http://SaintPiDevice:8080
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openhab.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/openhab.service.d
           └─override.conf
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-01-05 16:34:37 GMT; 4min 9s ago
     Docs: https://www.openhab.org/docs/
           https://community.openhab.org
 Main PID: 657 (java)
    Tasks: 16 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/openhab.service
           └─657 /usr/bin/java -XX:-UsePerfData -Dopenhab.home=/usr/share/openhab -Dopenhab.conf=/etc/openhab -Dopenhab.runtime=/usr/share/openhab/runtime -Dopenhab.userdata=/var/lib/openhab -Dopenhab.logdir=/var/log/o

Jan 05 16:34:37 SaintPiDevice systemd[1]: Started openHAB instance, reachable at http://SaintPiDevice:8080.

Only one thing in the logs. But I think this was from when the disk was full.

2022-01-05 15:35:50.994 [SEVERE] [org.apache.karaf.main.Main] - Could not launch framework
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error installing bundle listed in startup.properties with url: mvn:org.ops4j.pax.url/pax-url-aether/2.6.10 and startlevel: 5
	at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.installAndStartBundles(Main.java:611)
	at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:306)
	at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.main(Main.java:183)
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: An error occurred trying to read the bundle
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.stageContent0(Storage.java:1154)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.stageContent(Storage.java:1115)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage$4.getContent(Storage.java:781)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.install(Storage.java:713)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleContextImpl.java:182)
	at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.installAndStartBundles(Main.java:604)
	... 2 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.writeBytes(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:354)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.StorageUtil.readFile(StorageUtil.java:82)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.stageContent0(Storage.java:1147)
	... 7 more

So at the moment, everything says it’s working, but it’s not.

Check if the disk has enough space in /var/log partition.
If it is still full no update can be stored.
As the time difference seems to be nearly exact one hour 16:34:37 vs 15:35:50 it could be that the timezone in your environment is not correct and the error message belongs to the current time.
Thus check the openhab.log’s file timestamp. If it also shows about 16:34:37 then this is the error/reason why OH does not start.

Thanks for your help. I don’t sem to have a log by that name.

I restored an openhab config and that semed to clear it’s throat.
Everything is starting and running properly now.

The only thing left now is that my card says it is holding 42.2 GB which doesn’t seem right for a fairly basic openhab only Pi

Do a
du -s -h /storage/
that will show the amount of used disk space in the storage tree

Duh. That’s not a supported config, not tested, apparently doesn’t work.
Please refrain from asking for help on the forum on such obviously unsupported stuff.
It takes more than enough of our time to get the supported stuff to work.

Sorry. Didn’t know it was unsupported. The propmpts said it was going to the right place

Maybe it’s not my fault though. Maybe there should be a warning dialog if it will only work in one configuration. Duh.

Solution was to manually delete storage/syncmount and restore an openhab config

Oh come on. There’s extensive documentation on what is supported and anything not described in there isn’t, simple as that.
It should be obvious that features will not work under arbitrary conditions / in all possible configurations.
For the same reason it’s also impossible to warn of any idea a user might come up with, no matter if it’s good or weird, obvious or far-fetched.

There’s also extensive warnings of using SSDs as well so as you obviously didn’t know and nonetheless used one, you didn’t properly read the docs.