Hi Folks

I had a funny feeling you might reply like that.

My professional advice is…

“Please call your insurance company and ask”.

It’s very clear that openHAB isn’t going to be a platform you will want to use as it’s designed to be used.

So why are you still here?

It seems all you want to do is try to convince us we are doing it wrong. I’m sorry but you will never be successful in that and will only succeed in making us mad. You seem to have very strong opinions and very little experience with home automation outside of your very narrow and self built system. The way you built it is not the only way. It may not even be the best way for many or most of us (NOTE, I did NOT say it’s not the best way for you).

And that’s the thing. OH is not meant for “pure engineers.” It’s meant for enthusiasts to use and bridge between the thousands of walled gardens and protocols and all that to allow us to build a home automation system.

You you seem to think that we are a bunch of hacks who don’t understand what we are doing, the space we are trying to address, and the requirements we are trying to address.

I have no opinion on your design. But you seem to be trying to tell us our design is not correct. No one likes an outsider swooping in with little to no experience, knowledge, or understanding of a system to tell us how we are doing it wrong. The requirements we are trying to solve with OH have very little overlap with your requirements.

At least you understand that this is how OH is intended to be used. All the stuff you are raving about are concerns for the individual devices to worry about and implement. The devices should be autonomous and implement their own fail safes, state logic or polling or what ever. OH is there to command them (e.g. change the target temp).

No, because I don’t trust your motives and I honestly don’t care how you do. OH is what it is, works the way it does. Take it or leave it. Or jump in and contribute to it to help make changes that makes it more suitable for you if you want. Anything else is just trolling.

Again, then why are you here?

This is the environment that OH is intended to work in. OH commands other devices. It doesn’t replace the smarts of those other devices. Don’t want that, then don’t use OH. But don’t come in here and tell us we are doing it wrong because our requirements are different from yours.

That’s not the question they will ask. They will ask if the system was installed by a licensed HVAC professional.

tl;dr. OH isn’t something you will EVER be happy with. Take from the bindings if you want, it’s open source so you are free to do so. But take them and go and stop trolling here. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done in your system nor your strong opinions on how home automation should work. I’ve read nowhere in this thread where anyone has said anything about how you’ve built your system is technically flawed so stop feeling like you need to defend your self built system. But we don’t share your strong opinions on how home automation should work (and there are plenty of people with just as much experience as you on this very thread so let’s just leave the argumentum ad verecundiam behind) and we don’t have the same requirements that you have for OH. So stop trying to tell us we are doing it wrong.

3 Likes

Agreed. I stumbled upon this topic and it had been a while to see such a brazen faced topic start en replies of a topic starter in any forum.

So use / contribute to Openhab or move somewhere else.

1 Like

The back and forth started because OpenHab users told ME my system was wrong and I should just give up as I will not be able to achieve what OpenHab has and I should just abandon my system and use open hab. When I retorted that I didn’t think OpenHab would do what I needed, the arguments started.

I think we have gathered that we are operating in different spaces. OpenHab is for SIs. (Solution integrator) I am a developer developing systems not necessarily hooking pre-fab components together.

So if that is the case we are not actually in conflict, though this thread has decending into conflict occasionally. I think we know why now.

I think from my original post on here, before I started taking flack for doing things my own way states that I wanted to use OpenHab as an integration component, to access things that are not open but OpenHab has bindings for. But I have to say the trolling has come mostly from OpenHab users.

So, analogously, I am writing a “Nest” or “EvoHome” heating control system. Doing so has natural mechanics, certainly in my design. OpenHab may not be the correct system to use for that, while it could be done, it might be awkward.

I’m fine with that.

On the insurance point the heating was installed 40 or 50 years ago by a heating professional, a plumber and maintained since by registered plumbers and heating professionals. The only place I come near it is in switching it’s thermostat wires on or off. That is use as intended.

And with that attitude you will get none of my help.