Hiding Equipment on main UI conditionally

Hello there,

I am trying to really use the possibilities of the model.

However, as I want to automate my home and not clutter it with every single control possible, I want to hide some things conditionally. That works for points.

Example: If the current point “scene” is not “Manual”, hide the controls of a given equipment “ceiling lamp”.

That works for the points, but an empty header for the equipment remains I cannot get to hide:

The metadata does not seem to work on equipment level to hide elements…

I don’t think this is possible.

Okay but it should, right? What is the point of an empty headline, or the visibility metadata at all?

Maybe you have equipment you dont want to expose to the user, but have it mapped in the model nonetheless. (See above, you don’t want to expose controls while they are automated in a home automation system).

Or is the locations card really just thought of as a kind of debug interface where everything is just available and I have to make my own pages from scratch?

I think there are two things at play here.

1. It has never been the intent that everything belongs in the semantic model. The model should be generated from your home automation user’s perspective. So Items that you and your end users don’t interact with directly should not be in the model in the first place.

2. MainUI is continuously being improved. If an issue hasn’t already been opened to add support for this, please do open one. But note that there might be technical reasons why implementing that might be challenging and there will be many complaints if however it’s implemented changes how it works now. I, for example, want that equipment header in place.

But please do pay attention to some recent changes that change how Points and Equipment are shown on the cards which might come into play here.

As with anything that is automatically generated, all users’ many varied use cases cannot be supported. If your’s is not supported, you will need to create your own pages from scratch. MainUI’s semantically built pages have a huge amount of customization but not an infinite amount of customization.

Yes, not every item should be in the model.
But I want to be able to interact with the brightness, just not while the scene automatic is active.

I’m already on 3.3 M3 and like the new changes so far.

I guess I will have to add a dummy point just saying “Controlled by Automatic” or something. I feel this is totally against the model approach but…oh well.

Of course I can make my own pages but it’s kinda sad cause I would have to reimplement all the nice things the location cards already do…

Yes, not every item should be in the model.
But I want to be able to interact with the brightness, just not while the scene automatic is active.

I’m already on 3.3 M3 and like the new changes so far.

I guess I will have to add a dummy point just saying “Controlled by Automatic” or something. I feel this is totally against the model approach but…oh well.

Of course I can make my own pages but it’s kinda sad cause I would have to reimplement all the nice things the location cards already do…

EDIT:
For anyone wondering:

I would have liked to completely hide it, but I went with the following:

“Click to control manually”. This switches the scene to “Manual”.

1 Like

I really like your solution and I think it is by far superior to the approach of hiding stuff completely from the user. I think hiding stuff without telling the user how to make it visible again/what control hid the item in the first place does not make for a good user experience.

With my dining room lights I had a similar decision to make: the lights can switched off completely with a wall switch. At first I tried to hide the item completely like you just did. Since this did not work I decided to add a dummy switch item telling the user that the physical switch would need to be pressed to enable the controls. I think by explaining the reasons why controls are missing you can reduce the risk that users are getting the impression that controls kind of randomly pop up and disappear.

1 Like