Homatic thermostat --> reduce log output

I am using ten Homatic HM-CC-RT-DN thermostats. They are reporting every change in measured temperature (in 0.1°C steps). As a result, my log file is basically spammed by these devices.

I am wondering if it’s possible to only log every temperature change of at least 0.5°C. That would reduce the log entries.

Which log, openhab.log or events.log?

No, it’s not possible to apply this kind of filter to the eventlog. And it would be wrong as well.

Did you try to reduce the messages at the device? The Thermostat settings contain a bool for “zyklische Statusmeldung” and a number for “Anzahl der auszulassenden Meldungen”.

/var/log/openhab2/events.log

Where can I find these settings? Do I have to use the eq3 Homematic configuration software?

Yes. Or alternatively the web ui of the ccu2.

Funny thing, i thought i saw the option in the configuration tool, but now i just can find them via the ccu2 webui:

I am using a HM-CFG-LAN. Therefore, I need to use the eq3 configuration software.

As job indicates, unless you can change how frequently the device reports you cannot eliminate the statements from events.log.

However, there are all sorts of tools built into *nix environments to handle this situation. For example, to get everything except statements from one Item called MyItem

tail -f /var/log/openhab2/events.log | grep -v MyItem

To follow only those lines that match MyItem

tail -f /var/log/openhab2/events.log | grep MyItem

You can do all sorts of combinations of greps and the host of other commands piped together to filter and slice and dice your log files as they are being written. This is how you typically deal with log files.