Homekit bridge to OH3 lost

Short update from my side: day5 and still working :+1:

1 Like

bad news: after approx. 21days, I’ve got the same issue.
All HomeKit devices from openhab are dead: “No Response” :unamused:

Stefan83, by chance did you make any settings changes to the settings for the HomeKit Add-on in OpenHab3 and save them by pressing the Save button displayed in the image below?

I have seen this happen to me usually within a day of clicking that save button. I have avoided clicking Save or using Crtl-S, and instead manually edited the .config file. So far my setup has not had any connection issues since I posted here almost 20 days ago now.

Note: I did experience once where Siri told me it couldn’t connect to OpenHab since making this change, but turns out one of my kids decided they needed the power outlet more then my HomePod Mini and unplugged it. Since the HomePod Mini is considered the Hub for HomeKit in my setup this makes complete sense. After pugging it back in the connection was restored and everything is back to working properly with no changes needed to OH.

Are you using Unifi equipment? I’d suggest inspecting the MDNS response to see if the Homekit entry is there.

Hm, no…
I didn’t touch the HomeKit settings (or press Save) after I re-installed the HomeKit integration.

No. I don’t have any Unify-equipment

I’m facing the same issue on OH3.1. HomeKit worked for a few days then all openHAB items appeared no responses in HomeKit. Already disable private ip

I’ve been struggling with this as well on OH 3.1.0.

Do we have a fix yet, or are we just hanging in with the config backup method?

Thanks

Hi Matt
the issue with corrupt homekit.json is not fixed as it is not reproducible and root cause is unclear.

i tried hard to get this issue on my machine - killing openhab process, running out of hard drive space, putting machine in sleep mode, saving non-stop the binding configuration via UI - no effect, user entry remains in homekit.json.

do you know when it happens on your side? any specific time or any specific action? any information would help to nail down the issue and fix it

while writing to you, i got an idea what else i could try to implement as fix.

this PR

will add homekit binding setting to disable deletion of the user information by binding. this will also blocks unpairing, but if setup is done then usually you dont unpair/re-pair

it is still not 100% clear whether the user information gets deleted from homekit.json by binding or by something else. but with this setting we could at least exclude binding from potential root causes.

once the PR get merged and release you will find the new setting in homekit UI settings. by default it is disable, i.e. deletion is not blocked. if you have working setup, enable it. maybe it will fix your issue

Hey there,

I’ve only just set this up for the first time, and it was working fine. OH is running on my QNAP NAS, and after a reboot I had noticed the HK was not working anymore.

It’s still currently in failure mode, so if there’s anything else that you’d like me to check, or steps to take prior to reconfiguring, let me know!

Ty

Hi Matt,
i dont know whether you have tried/ checked following points:

• ensure you have IP address defined in HomeKit settings UI
  • try different setting of “Use openHAB mDNS service” (dont forget to click on “Save”)
  • if you have access per SSH, try to find homekit.json file and check if you have “User” entry there

if you dont have “user” entry there, you would definitely need to re-pair, i.e. add openhab as bridge in home app. once you re-paired, check the homekit.json again and make a backup of it.

So this morning I re-added the hub; all is well. I was indeed missing the “User” entry in the homekit.json file. I’ve gone down the route of keeping a backup of it, and I’ll play a bit more. I’m going to try setting some file permissions to see if I can block the change, and maybe get an error identifying what is trying to access it.

I did/do have an IP address defined, and I had tried the mDNS switch back and forth a few times with no luck.

Thanks!

Update: everything was fine all day yesterday, however this morning the connection is offline. I logged into the server and sure enough homekit.json is once again missing the User entry. I’m going to restore the backup and try permissions locking next.

I’ve updated my permissions to give only my OS administrator user write privileges to homekit.json. All others get Read only.

Restarted the bundle, and everything is back online. I’ll monitor and update!

it looks like it is reproducible on your side. any ideas what happened over night?
it would great if we would find the root cause of this very annoying issue.

Nothing should’ve happened overnight; the QNAP doesn’t automatically update or anything.

Incidentally, I did just reboot the QNAP and everything came back up and is working normally.

A few months ago I have had the same issue that all my devices in homekit stated “No response”.
I was able to fix it with this with a “stop” and “start” of the homekit binding via karaf console.
Maybe this will work for someone else too. This is not a permanent fix, but in my case the devices came back online and the the binding is working now for months without any problems.

I’m also experiencing that the HomeKit.json file are missing the users entries after every reboot of OpenHAB. I run OpenHAB as a docker container on my Synology NAS.

i have still no explanation for it, but i have added switch to homekit binding which blocks the deletion of the users from homekit.json by binding, i.e. if users disappears then it is not deleted by binding.

this switch is part of last Release Candidate (RC) and will be in the next release. please try it out (RC or next releases) and let me know whether it helped.

FYI - since modifying the permissions on homekit.json I have not had the problem since. Stable for two weeks now! If only I could get my Insteon binding to be stable now…!

1 Like