Homekit crashes with Garagedoor

OH 3.1 on Raspberry 4B 4GB

Hi,
I added a garagedoor to Homekit but the Home app keeps crashing when I select the room within the Home app where the garagedoor is located.

What I‘ve done:

• Created a group and added the meta data GarageDoorOpener to it.
  • Created a switch item for target state with meta data GarageDoorOpener.TargetDoorState
  • Created a string item for the current state with meta data GarageDoorOpener.CurrentDoorState
  • Created a switch item for obstruction state with meta data GarageDoorOpener.ObstructionStatus
  • Created a (working) rule like:

if (itemRegistry.getItem('Garagentor_soll').getState() == 'ON') {
          events.sendCommand('Garagentor_ist', 'OPEN');
        } else {
          events.sendCommand('Garagentor_ist', 'CLOSED');
        }

When I switch the item, Homekit sends me a push notification. So it looks like it is working.
Unfortunately the Home app crashes every time I open the room with the Garagedoor.

What is wrong? Any idea how to fix this?
Thanks!

Best regards
Dirk

Hi Dirk,

wow, you have managed to crash home app. this happens not that often. the only case i can think of is the wrong or null value of some characteristics.
please make sure all openhab items have a value, i.e. current, target and obstruction state have a value in openhab

1 Like

Hi Eugen,
All items have a state in openhab.
Even the home app pushes me a notification that the status has changed… But I can’t view it in the Home app… instant crash.

There is no log entry about a warning or error.

Current = item Garagentor_ist
Target = Item Garagentor_soll
Obstruction = Item Garagentor_hindernis

2021-09-18 15:44:16.471 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Garagentor_hindernis' changed from OFF to ON
2021-09-18 15:44:17.646 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'Garagentor_soll' received command OFF
2021-09-18 15:44:17.653 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Garagentor_soll' changed from ON to OFF
2021-09-18 15:44:17.660 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'Garagentor_ist' received command CLOSED
2021-09-18 15:44:17.666 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Garagentor_ist' changed from OPEN to CLOSED

Maybe this this a bug or problem in iOS 14.8?

im on 14.8 and garage works fine.
do you have anything else on that page/room in home app?

Yes there are other devices at that page.
I removed the meta data, moved all devices to an another page and added the meta data again.
Still the same problem. Home app crashes.

Any other idea how to fix this?

You’ve not mentioned making your Items members of the Group.

Sorry, you are right. Forgot to mention this, but they are all part of the group.

A little success… if all items are set to CLOSED (obstruction to OFF) the home app doesn’t crash anymore.
But changing any state of these 3 items crashes the home app. Regardless of whether changing a state in HomeKit or via openhab.
Really strange.

Found the problem!

The Garagedoor device in HomeKit was nameless…I added a name and everything is working fine.
Good to know, no name = HomeKit crash :smile:

1 Like