HomeKit holy grail: homebridge-openhab2-complete

Thanks @steilerDev, here’s the corresponding gh issue.

This plugin has worked really well for me if I launch by SSHing in. However I am struggling to figure how to correctly launch this at boot on a raspberry pi openhab2 install.
Is using systemd to launch homebridge as detailed here the correct way:

I tried it and it resulted in a bunch of “undef” MQTT transformation errors.

The systemd steps in the link only considers the homebridge service. Are any modifications required to the boot up files to address the homebridge openhab2 complete plugin or should it work as is?

Hi, Awesome plugin. I have 9 cameras in my openhab installation using the Synology Surveillance binding.

Do you plan to add support for RTSP cameras in your plugin? This would complete my Homebridge/Openhab installation :slight_smile:

I will be happy to test RTSP function if you need it :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

/Jesper

This really is a great plugin!

Only a small hiccup:

I have installed openhab2, homebridge, homebride-openhab2-complete on a fresh RasPi4 debian install. Homebridge as well as openhab2 are launched after boot using systemd.

However, after every reboot all items are missing within homebridge. After manually restarting homebridge all the items appear again but I have to assign the rooms and settings within the Apple Home app again.

Does anybody know the reason for this behaviour and does anybody know a good workaround (e.g. delaying the launch of homebridge after openhab2 was started)?

First, thanks for the nice plugin. Homekit is realy stable and works great.
But I have one question. What to do with tunable white bulbs like Osram Lightify Classic.
The device has two channels, Level Control and Color Temperature (tunable white). Both are Dimmer Channels.
In Homekit, the bulb should look like this:

How can I configure this with homebridge-openhab2-complete?

Hello great plugin, working like a charm on my Windows installation; much better than the Openhab integrated addon. I do have on issue though: each time I reboot my Windows PC, all my Openhab accessories show ‘not responding’ in the Home app. I have to reinstall and reconfigure everything each time. What could be the issue? Homebridge runs as a service and Openhab launches at startup as well. Is there a required launch sequence here?

Will there be an upgrade to openHAB 3?

Hey Frank. I’ve been using homebridge-openhab2-complete for quite some time. But when I migrated to OH 3 I also migrated to the native Homekit binding. I was pleasantly surprised. My dimmers now behave better than with the homebridge based solution and there is a tiny bit less lag. I also like the fact that everything is configured in the items file. Though I have to admit that I only use it to control switches, dimmers and roller shutters. So your mileage may vary. You probably have your reasons for not wanting to use the native solution. Just wanted to mention that it might be worth a second look. Especially if you haven’t done that in a long time.

Thanks @jewesta - how long does it take to convert the config.json? Is the syntax similar or do I have to start from the scratch?

PM‘d you as to keep this thread on topic.

I was wondering if anyone had tried the HomeKit add-on with OH3. I tried it a couple days ago - installed fine, was detected as an accessory fine in Home App, and was able to add devices. However, when it came to actually controlling the devices via the Home App, I was getting no response (I confirmed devices were controllable thru the Paper UI). Was wondering if you did anything special to get the devices to respond the Home App? Thx for any feedback. I also tried OH3 with homebridge-openhab2-complete, but its devices thru that are also not responsive.

Sorry I cannot really help you.

I started with a fresh OH 3 installation and added the Homekit binding when I had all items otherwise set up properly. I had one problem in the beginning where the Home apps on our iOS devices suddenly reported the bridge as offline and nothing worked any more. Newly tagged items didn’t appear, etc. I had to remove the bridge in iOS and add it again. But that was during a phase where I was still adding and removing “homekit” tags in my items file. So I assumed that was a hiccup because of all the changes I made. This issue is also well known and has been discussed by the developer. Apparently it’s very hard to catch and seems to happen at random. (Cannot currently find the related forum post.)

But since that issue everything is running really smoothly. For… about two weeks now, I think.

I can tell you however, that I had exactly the problem you described with the openhab2-complete solution on OH 2. Items would suddenly be unresponsive but they would not show as offline (exclamation mark) in the Home app. They just wouldn’t do anything. For me that happened when the internet connection in my router was interrupted. I could never understand this as the internet connection should have nothing to do with Homekit functionality. At least as far as I understand all of this. But if that happened I had to stop homebridge, restart openHAB 2 and start homebridge again. Only then did my Homekit items get responsive again. This happened fairly regularly.

Never had this issue with the native binding unter OH3, sorry. :man_shrugging: But like I wrote it hasn’t been running for a long enough time for me to safely say it’s stable either.

if you have apple tv or ipad at home, try to disconnect them from homekit. they are acting as a bridge and especially if you change you configuration, add/remove new items, they have old status and report items as not responsive. once you have the final setup you can connect them again to homekit so that they can act as bridge if you are not connected to home wifi.

another source if issue is the network connection. sometimes openhab and iphone are in different networks with no routing between or with some port blocked.

1 Like

Thanks for the great feedback. Will give OH3 another shot this upcoming week and see how it goes… I haven’t tried M2 yet so maybe that might help.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tested the native OH3 HomeKit Binding yesterday. Impressive. Especially no config,json anymore, anything can be done within the items. I still wasn’t able to set up my Eurotronics Thermostats that worked before with openhab2-complete (I mapped current, target and modeitem). But I probably have to dive deeper into it. Everything else seems to work smoothly.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the super plugin!

Just one thing bothering me.
Sorry if I ask a noob question, I just am😂

I have window sensors from Homematic IP which give me a string state. I know in OH you can map transformations but they are not applied to the item itself, only how sitemap etc shows them.

Is there a way to transform an OH string item to number in Homematic without creating dummy items all over in OH which you transform through endless rules (my only solution at the moment)?

Hi there,

i have a short question. I installed the Homekit Integration from the PaperUI under Misc. Is this really a full homebridge setup including a config.json? I’m using the homekit integration now more then one year an all is fine. But now i want to install the plugin and can’t find the config.json.
Do i have to install homebridge manual over npm and the manual install the openhab plugin and also the complete plugin?

It would be nice if someone can give me a hint.

Thanks in advance

To my knowledge it’s not comparable to the original homebridge. There is no configuration done outside of the paper UI or the Items files. There is in particular no homebridge UI.

I use for example the openhab plugin for most of my items. For Sonos I still have a homebridge instance running, since I couldn’t find a way to adjust treble/bass etc. in openhab.

1 Like

Hey Simon,

thank you very much. I really tought the hole time that the binding is a full compatible homebridge setup. :slight_smile:
But it seem that it is like you say. That means I have to uninstall the binding install the homebridge and all plugins manually and then rewrite all devices :joy:

Yeha, i have something todo during LOCKDOWN :slight_smile:

Then i combine it directly with a complete new setup of openhab an my proxmox server :slight_smile:

I will report if I’m done !

:beers:

hi,

did anyone test the plugin with the new openhab3?
They changed something on the rest API and if I know right the plugin uses the rest API?

Thanks