[homekit] Homekit sending ON and 100 Command

Hi there,

I’m using openHAB 2.5.5 (latest) and having problems configuring my homekit the right way.

I will controll a Dimmable KNX Switch with homekit. When i klick the icon in the iOS Home App. Its sending a ON and 100 Command at the same time. The actor has timebased start percentage but its get overwritten by the command.

my item Devinition

Dimmer			Licht_Flur_Spot					"Spots Flur"										<light>			(light)					{homekit="Lighting, Lighting.Brightness", alexa="PowerController.powerState,BrightnessController.brightness" [category="LIGHT"] ,channel="knx:device:bridge:led3:Licht_Flur_Spot", autoupdate="false" }

The knx thing definition

Type dimmer        : Licht_Flur_Spot                "Spots Flur"                        [ switch="1/1/130+<1/1/133", position="1/1/132+<1/1/134", increaseDecrease="1/1/131" ]

Some log action

Thanks for help!

Hi Julian,

yes, that what iOS home app sends if you click on the icon. It sends 2 separate updates:
Switch = On
Brightness = 100%

not sure what we can do it about it. it could also desired behaviour for some devices.

just thinking out loud here - in your case we need the logic:

• ignore brightness=100% if openHAB has received Switch=On in the last 2 seconds

right?

For me, the Brightness does not have to be send when the on command is send. This could be a solution…

I don’t know if there is any device wich will have to get both commands.

the challenge here - both are independent changes and from the openHAB binding perspective we dont know whether it was one click on the icon or the user did 2 different actions: click on “on” and “increase brightness to 100%”. proper fix can be done only by Apple in home app - icon click = ON.

there are similar discussions for other homekit implementations

and apparently no proper solution just some workarounds like wait 20ms and if you get the second command, ignore ON event.

probably we should try to do the same.

1 Like

I’ve connected all HomeKit dimmers via NodeRed because of this behaviour of the openhab HomeKit binding.

If I click on the icon in the home app the light turns on with the brightness level the light had when it was on the last time.

I realised today, that the HomeKit binding has made big step since I checked it the last time. This bug (yes it is and definitely not a feature) unfortunately still exists.

there is PR out there that should fix this. it will support serval modes for dimmer behaviour including filtering out brightness or ON event.
https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/pull/7825

it would great if you could check once it is merged / next snapshot is released and give us your feedback.

Sure. Will do.

In which snapshot would I find this? I got the confirmation that the commit “e271705” is merged. In the snapshot I installed afterwards (2.5.6 Build #139), I cannot identify any different behaviour.

we have added different modes / filters.
please add dimmerMode to your configuration.
it should look like this

Dimmer dimmer_light_3	"Dimmer Light 3" 	 {homekit="Lighting, Lighting.Brightness" [dimmerMode="filterOnExceptBrightness100"]}

seems still not to work on openHAB 2.5.6 Build #139.

I just installed a fresh instance. I created an item with the exact configuration (copy and paste).
Dimmer dimmer_light_3 “Dimmer Light 3” {homekit=“Lighting, Lighting.Brightness” [dimmerMode=“filterOnExceptBrightness100”]}

I should find this in the latest snapshot 2.5.6 #139, right?

now sure how to get the build number but if i execute
openhab> bundle update 513 https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.io.homekit/2.5.6-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.io.homekit-2.5.6-SNAPSHOT.jar

i get latest snapshot

and brightness logic is working there as expected

I also updated the bundle like @yfre did (and did a restart of openhab2.service). But it doesnt work for me. Looks like the 50ms are to short

But thanks for all the work! You guys did a nice job. Thanks a lot!

thanks a lot Julian for testing!

could you please try one more time. increase delay to 100 or so
Dimmer dimmer_light_3 “Dimmer Light 3” {homekit=“Lighting, Lighting.Brightness” [dimmerMode=“filterOnExceptBrightness100”, commandDelay=100]}

Unfortunately still not working at my side. I tried 100ms and even higher stuff like 1000ms. I also did the same update procedure, didn’t I? Any idea to test?

strange.
can you please try enable logging in karaf with

openhab> log:set TRACE org.openhab.io.homekit

im looking for this sequence. it will tell which commands it has received from home app and which command it has sent to item.

2020-06-10 14:54:09.313 [TRACE] [.homekit.internal.HomekitOHItemProxy] - add command to command cache: item org.openhab.io.homekit.internal.HomekitOHItemProxy@4d53a681, command type ON_COMMAND, command state ON. cache state after: {ON_COMMAND=ON}
2020-06-10 14:54:09.314 [TRACE] [.homekit.internal.HomekitOHItemProxy] - add command to command cache: item org.openhab.io.homekit.internal.HomekitOHItemProxy@4d53a681, command type BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND, command state 100. cache state after: {ON_COMMAND=ON, BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND=100}
2020-06-10 14:54:09.314 [TRACE] [.homekit.internal.HomekitOHItemProxy] - send OnOff command for item dimmer_light_2 (Type=DimmerItem, State=NULL, Label=Dimmer Light Test 2, Category=null) with value ON

thanks for helping me out. here is what I got:

here is the current item:

I miss the “Proxy stuff” in my log.

thank you. but i need log from homekit binding.
it should something with “homekit.internal.HomekitOHItemProxy”…
pls execute this

log:set TRACE org.openhab.io.homekit
log:display  | grep OHItemProxy

I guess, I miss something important here. I’m in the console, that’s correct, right? Please see my logging settings.