Homekit looses rooms

interesting. i was not aware that apple devices can also lead to room reset.

i have no homepods, only 2 apple TVs - one gets marked automatically as “Connected” bridge and second as “Standby”. some time back i had ipad in addition as bridge but it was creating some random issues, especially when it was in sleep mode or not at home. so i deactivated the bridge on ipad.

Hi guys,
I got a similar problem since 3.2.

I loose my rooms associations, not via reboot of my Openhabian powered PI, but e.g. 1 hour after I assigned them to a room (after I resetted the homebridge). So it works first, but then it looses the association.

Items are then moved to the default room. From here it’s getting strange…
If I reassign any item from the default room back to e.g. the office room, it’s staying there fix.

All good you might think. Not really…
I cannot control this reassociated homekit item via Siri on my Homepod minis. I can only do that via Siri on my iPhone. If I ask my homepod, he is telling me that there are no items to control. My iPhone is just doing fine.

Any clue?

Always seems to lose the room assignment but never the zone assignment (upstairs/downstairs etc) not sure if that’s a clue or a workaround!

you have mentioned homebridge and homepod mini. so, probably some legacy information from homebridge is still in homepod. i would recommend to deactivate homepod mini and other homekit bridges like apple tv for 1-2 days and check whether it works better without them

A little update from me. After the iOS update to 15.4, I revisited the issue and found that my iPhone was once again not syncing HomeKit with my other iPads and my iMac. So I wanted to remove the openHAB bridge from Home. On one of the iPads it went smoothly and even synced this change to the other devices, except for my iPhone. There, however, the openHAB bridge could not be deleted either. In the end, I had to delete the Home app completely and remove the connected data. With that, my entire HomeKit setup was gone and I started all over again. But in doing so, I now left openHAB out of the equation and used Homebridge for the 11 remaining devices instead. Since then I have restarted Homebridge several times and the assigned devices have all remained in their rooms. Actually I would have been happy about a simplification of my installation, but there seems to be a really big bug in the HomeKit component of openHAB.

Any news on the topic?

I just discovered Homekit and am facing the same problem of losing room assignations. Just the devices from homebridge are kept in their respective rooms…

Hi,

it depends, there are different reasons for this issue. often it happens due invalid configuration of openhab items - especially if you use textual configuration.

openhab always sends the current items list. if config is broken then the list is empty and home app deletes all items. we have implemented some additional delays for such cases but still it will never provide 100% guarantee

homebridge works differently - it keeps a copy of the items locally, so, if OH is broken, homebridge would send an old config.

but this usually happens only in the beginning, once the config is stable then homekit should not loose the room assignments. normally, sending old config is not a good thing, but in this cases it give you the time to fix the config.

how it happened to you? after restart of openhab or after config changes?

Hi Eugen,

I have issues with HomeKit rooms as well, but only for Items using OpenHAB bridge.
The same items are placed in different rooms on my iPad and iPhone.
For all other bridges, as Philips Hue or Netatmo, the rooms are properly update across the devices.

This problem was introduced somehow in 3.x and still exist in 3.3.0 stable release.

Any idea?

Hi Stefan,

openHAB (and hue&netatmo) have no control over the rooms. the rooms are managed only locally on ios devices. openHAB cannot send any room information or read.

if ios device are connected to the same icloud account, then the room assignment should by automatically synchronised. or you can invite other icloud account to your home then it should be synchronised as well.
however, sometimes, homekit bridges like apple tv, homepod and ipad are not in sync.

i would suggest to deactivate homekit bridges (if you have any), check which icloud accounts are connected to home and try to change room on the main account, the one that has created home