Homekit via Internet?

Hi,

I am running OH 4.0.1 and just set up Homekit integration using the instructions on the add-on page. I was able to add the accessory only when my phone is connected to same the local LAN/WLAN as the openHAB server. When I tried with the phone connected via mobile data/public Internet it did not work.

Is there a way to set up the connection between openHAB and the Apple devices via public Internet?

And another question: if I add/change Homekit metadata of items, is there anything I need to do for the changes to be registered on the Apple side, or does that work automagically?

Regards, Robert

1 Like

Hi,
please see here for remote access:

“You need a home hub to control your HomeKit and Matter accessories while you’re away from home, share control of your accessories with others, and automate your accessories to do what you want, when you want.”

If you add meta data, homekit will automaticly detect the new item.

1 Like

Great, thanks, we have an Apple TV, will give it a try with that.

Any solution if we don’t have an Apple TV or a Homepod to access via internet because I was using my ipad as a bridge and now it has been cancelled.

I don’t think there are any alternatives - I think a HomePod Mini is the cheapest option brand new, but you can also get an older, refurbished Apple TV for under 100 €.

1 Like