Homematic IP HmIP-BWTH - Temperature and Humidity Formatting Issues

• Platform information:

• Hardware: RaspberryPi 3
    • Java Runtime Environment: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_232-8u232-b09-1~deb9u1-b09)
    • openHAB version: 2.5M5
  • Issue of the topic:
    The formatting of actual temperature and humidity of my HmIP-BWTH devices is incorrect and looks like the following:

Temperature: 22,7 one (instead of 22,7 °C)
Humidity: 4600 % (instead of 46 %)

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

• Configurations:
    • Items configuration related to the issue
heating_gf_temp (Type=NumberItem, State=22.70, Label=Temperatur Wohnzimmer, Category=Temperature, Groups=[gHeating, GF_LivingDining])
heating_gf_targettemp (Type=NumberItem, State=17.00 °C, Label=Zieltemperatur Wohnzimmer, Category=Temperature, Groups=[GF_LivingDining])
heating_gf_humidity (Type=NumberItem, State=46, Label=Luftfeuchtigkeit Wohnzimmer, Category=Humidity, Groups=[gHumidity, GF_LivingDining])
  • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
                Default item=heating_gf_temp label="Temperatur [%.1f %unit%]"
                Setpoint item=heating_gf_targettemp label="Zieltemperatur [%.1f %unit%]" step=0.5 minValue=17 maxValue=26
                Default item=heating_gf_humidity label="Luftfeuchtigkeit [%d %%]"

In the sitemap try changing “Default” to “Text” for both temp and humidity then restart OH.

Neither of your Items appear to have UoM types? I would not expect %unit% format to work where units are undefined.

When changing “Dimension” to “Temperature” in the Paper UI settings, the temperature is showing up as “- -” in Basic UI. For humidity, I can’t even find a dimension that sounds appropriate.

Changing from “Default” to “Text” in the sitemap definition doesn’t seem to have any effect.

You can’t just set arbitrary units to Items - the binding channel has to support that subtype.

If the Homematic channels only support numbers, thats what you go with.

Humidity in UoM is “dimensionless” that means e.g. a percentage. Dimensionless is a UoM, not the same as a plain number type.
It’s a misleading name, “ratio” or something would be clearer.

Okay understood! According to the channel description, both (temperature and humidity) are Number/Dimensionless. Unfortunately, this leaves me with “22,8 one” for temperature and “4500 %” for humidity in my sitemap. Any idea how to fix this?

That would be an error, then.
I reiterate that Number:Dimensionless is confusing, not the same as Number, binding authors get confused too.
Bear in mind we cannot see what channels you’re using here, I’m not yet convinced this is not just a set up problem.
You’re probably getting messages about all this in events.log
You should be able to see the “flavour” of channels in PaperUI Things.

Tell us more about
heating_gf_targettemp (Type=NumberItem, State=17.00 °C, ...
That Item clearly has a Number:Temperature type (the units in the state) - are you saying the Homematic channel is different for that one?

“one” is one of the possible units for Dimensionless, ratio as in three-to-one, like % or dB.

If supply a plain number like 45 to a Number:Dimensionless, it will assume you mean the ratio to 45-to-1. Expressed in %, that’s 4500%.

Either the channel is really for a plain number, or you need to provide a hint about incoming units for the channel to use.

I believe you can hint about default units by providing them in the label of your Item definition
"Luftfeuchtigkeit [%d %%]"
Not the sitemap label - if there is a sitemap label, that will override Item label for display only.

Thanks again! Seems like we’re getting there…

I’ve now defined two items in the config files rather than using Paper UI:

Number    GF_LivingDining_Humidity   "Luftfeuchtigkeit [%d %%]"          <heating>          (GF_LivingDining, gHumidity)   ["HVAC"]     {channel="[...]"}
Number    GF_LivingDining_Temperature   "Temperatur [%.1f °C]"          <heating>          (GF_LivingDining, gHeating)   ["HVAC"]       {channel="[...]"}

Values are now displayed correctly in the UI. Is this the only solution? I’d love not to be forced to use a mix of Paper UI and config files.

You can configure exactly the same in PaperUI.
Take care to choose the correct Item type - not Dimensionless.
Be sure to delete file based Items first or use different Item names or you will get in a mess.