Homematic IP plug switch (HmIP-PDT)

Hello,

I’am trying to integrate a Homematic IP Plug Switch (HmIP-PDT) in openhab 2.4. I use a CCU3. The Plug Switch is created as Thing in the paper ui. But I was not able to find the right channel to switch on/off and use the dimmer.

I have created an item with the channel homematic:HmIP-PDT:3014F711A0001F98A9A5XXXX:000DD709B0XXXX:3#LEVEL as dimmer. But in the control section of the paper ui I can not see this item. Thus I am not able to switch on/off.

Does anyone have a tip for me?

Hi Jens,

have you been able to add the PDT?
I’m using it with #3LEVEL and item type Dimmer.
I can control the light with it, but the UI displays ERR and I see the following in the logs:

[WARN ] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Exception while formatting value ‘0’ of item Sofalampe_3_Level with format ‘%.2f %unit%’: Conversion = ‘u’

Do you have the same issue?
Or did you find another/better solultion?

Cheers,
John

John,

are you using openHAB version 3? This looks like a problem, I have fixed some days ago.

See this issue: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/issues/8799

Hi Martin,

this looks exactly like the issue I’m seeing.
I’m using 2.5.9.
Is v3 already stable?

I would consider upgrading…
I have quite a few bindings in use and my journey from v1 to v2 was, let’s say “painful”… :wink:
Is the upgrade to v3 supposed to keep the configuration?

Thanks for your help!
John

Hi John,

I have not tried OH 3 in my production environment. But as far as I know, some people already did. Here in the forum are some threads regarding the two OH milestones that have already been published.

The stable version is expected for end of December.

I can try to backport the solution also to the 2.5 branch as soon as I have again a working development environment for 2.5.

Thanks!
I’ve already started setting up the docker installation with v3 MS2…

v3 looks gorgeous!
I started using it in parallel and decided to add everything one by one again to get familiar with the new concepts.
I like the idea of the equipment and all.

UPDATE:
I played around a bit with the homematic binding of v3 and it seems that it hammers my CCU3.
When I added the bridge as thing, the WebUI became unresponsive and the thing in oh3 showed communication errors.
I see timeout errors in the logs:

2020-11-21 10:28:19.900 [WARN ] [ternal.handler.HomematicThingHandler] - Could not reinitialize the device ‘…’: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
java.io.IOException: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed

The bridge is removed from OH3 already, but the things I added stay in state “REMOVING” forever.

The binding in OH2.5.9 works fine.
I disabled the bridge in OH2 while testing with OH3 to avoid any issues with parallel use.

Is this a known issue?

I haven’t extensively tested the HM binding with OH 3, yet. But there has been a change in the OH core that affects the Homematic binding (https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/1707) and could cause this problem. I am currently investigating how to solve it.

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for looking into this!
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Are there logs that could help you?
I’d be happy, if I could help!

Best regards,
John

Hi John,

I have created a new jar file to test some improvements: https://github.com/MHerbst/openhab-addons-test/blob/master/org.openhab.binding.homematic-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Can you test with this jar? If this does help to solve the problem, please enable Debug log mode and post a relevant excerpt of openhab.log (if there are not enough information we would have to try it with Trace log mode).

Hi Martin,

I installed the binding and tried to add the gateway.
The discovery still “bricks” the gateway, the WebUI of the CCU is unresponsive and the CCU needs to be restarted, before I can use it again.

I found the following errors in the logs.
The stacktraces are shorted, when I didn’t see anything relevant to org.openhab.binding.homematic.*

When I added the binding, the following showed up in the logs:

11:59:52.163 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.homematic        ] - bundle org.openhab.binding.homematic:3.0.0.202011221749 (255)[org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.handler.HomematicThingHandlerFactory(330)] :  Error during instantiation of the implementation object
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:490) ~[?:?]
        at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.ComponentConstructor.newInstance(ComponentConstructor.java:309) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.createImplementationObject(SingleComponentManager.java:277) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.createComponent(SingleComponentManager.java:114) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.getService(SingleComponentManager.java:982) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.getServiceInternal(SingleComponentManager.java:955) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.getService(SingleComponentManager.java:900) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse$1.run(ServiceFactoryUse.java:212) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) [?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.factoryGetService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:210) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.getService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:111) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceConsumer$2.getService(ServiceConsumer.java:45) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistrationImpl.getService(ServiceRegistrationImpl.java:508) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistry.getService(ServiceRegistry.java:461) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.getService(BundleContextImpl.java:624) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleRefPair.getServiceObject(SingleRefPair.java:86) [bundleFile:?]

After configuring the bridge, I saw A LOT these:

12:07:50.246 [DEBUG] [l.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser] - Failed converting 100MS to a Number
java.lang.NumberFormatException: 100MS is not a valid number.
        at org.apache.commons.lang.math.NumberUtils.createNumber(NumberUtils.java:597) ~[bundleFile:2.6]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser.toNumber(CommonRpcParser.java:82) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser.assembleDatapoint(CommonRpcParser.java:193) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.parser.GetParamsetDescriptionParser.parse(GetParamsetDescriptionParser.java:54) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.client.RpcClient.addChannelDatapoints(RpcClient.java:183) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.CcuGateway.addChannelDatapoints(CcuGateway.java:139) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway.loadAllDeviceMetadata(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:402) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.discovery.HomematicDeviceDiscoveryService.lambda$0(HomematicDeviceDiscoveryService.java:209) [bundleFile:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834) [?:?]
12:07:50.248 [DEBUG] [l.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser] - Failed converting H to a Number

As well a lot of these entries:

12:09:01.201 [DEBUG] [l.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser] - No unit information found for temperature datapoint P5_TEMPERATURE_FRIDAY_12, assuming Number:Temperature
12:09:01.203 [DEBUG] [l.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser] - No unit information found for temperature datapoint P5_TEMPERATURE_FRIDAY_11, assuming Number:Temperature
12:09:01.204 [DEBUG] [l.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser] - No unit information found for temperature datapoint P5_TEMPERATURE_FRIDAY_10, assuming Number:Temperature
12:09:01.205 [DEBUG] [l.communicator.parser.CommonRpcParser] - No unit information found for temperature datapoint P4_TEMPERATURE_SUNDAY_2, assuming Number:Temperature

After removing the bridge Thing, I saw these, but they may have appeared earlier as well:

12:10:31.668 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Unable to release the connection to the gateway with id 'eaf5a1b9f4': java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
java.io.IOException: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.client.XmlRpcClient.send(XmlRpcClient.java:147) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.client.XmlRpcClient.sendMessage(XmlRpcClient.java:81) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.client.RpcClient.release(RpcClient.java:102) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway.stopServers(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:268) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway$ConnectionTrackerThread.handleInvalidConnection(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:968) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway$ConnectionTrackerThread.run(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:931) [bundleFile:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
        at org.eclipse.jetty.client.TimeoutCompleteListener.onTimeoutExpired(TimeoutCompleteListener.java:51) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.CyclicTimeout$Wakeup.run(CyclicTimeout.java:282) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) ~[?:?]
        ... 3 more
12:10:31.687 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.server.XmlRpcServer] - Stopping XML-RPC server

I hope, this helps, let me know, if I need to test differntly.

Best regards,
John

The Thing in openhab shows a communication error:

Adding a Thing manually shows the bridge twice.
I tried with both of them, it didn’t seem to make a difference:

The CCU didn’t need a reboot, as described before.
Waiting long enough returned it back to normal.
Seems, I was too impatient :wink:

Which Java interpreter are you using? I remember during my taste some incompatibilities between Karaf/Felix and at least one Java interpreter. With Azul`s Java 11 everything works fine.

If your docker contains runs on a slow machine (e.g. a Raspi) and you have cleared the cache directory (what you should do before installing an add-on via the addons folder) you probably have start openHAB 2 or 3 times until the cache has been completely populated.

BTW: did you remove the add on that was installed via Main UI before copying the test jar into the addons folder? This could explain the two bridges. You can only have one version of the binding installed.
You can check that you have the correct binding in the Karaf console with bundle:list | grep Homematic. There should be only one binding with version 3.0.0.202011221855.

Hi Martin,

I’m using openhab/openhab:3.0.0.M3.
java -version in the console yields:

openjdk version "11.0.8" 2020-07-14 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.41+23-CA (build 11.0.8+10-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.41+23-CA (build 11.0.8+10-LTS, mixed mode)

Docker is running on a Synology DS918+ with 12GB of RAM and a 4 core INTEL Celeron J3455.
On average it’s at 15-20% CPU usage, so I would assume it should be able to handle OpenHAB quite well.
UI is blazing fast and I haven’t recognized any hickups yet.

I indeed forgot to remove the installed addon.
Doing so removed the second Thing… :man_facepalming:
Thanks! :slight_smile:

The last binding I downloaded from your link was:

openhab> bundle:list|grep Home
249 x Active x  80 x 3.0.0.202011221749      x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: Homematic Binding

I downloaded once more just now to double check and it still is version

openhab> bundle:list|grep Home
250 x Installed x  80 x 3.0.0.202011221749      x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: Homematic Binding

This environment looks perfect :slight_smile:

My patches have also been merged and they are part of the latest snapshot build.

Hi Martin,
unfortunately I still have no luck in using the binding.
When I add it and configure the CCU Thing, the WebUI of the CCU becomes unusable and the logs in OpenHAB pile up as described above.
This is - as far as I can tell - the same behavior for the binding included in the M3 milestone.
I waited for about 10 minutes to see, if it was a problem only during the initialization phase, but as long as the binding is active, it seems to put some serious load on the CCU.

The Bridge in OH3 is displayed with “ERROR:COMM” and I see the following output repeating:

09:50:18.081 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Loaded 0 gateway variable(s)
09:50:18.102 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Loaded 0 gateway script(s)
09:50:18.108 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Loaded device 'GWE00000000' (GATEWAY-EXTRAS-5C18E73AFC) with 8 datapoints
09:50:18.109 [DEBUG] [ernal.type.HomematicTypeGeneratorImpl] - Generating ThingType for device 'GATEWAY-EXTRAS-5C18E73AFC' with 8 datapoints
09:50:18.115 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.InboxAddedEvent      ] - Discovery Result with UID 'homematic:GATEWAY-EXTRAS-5C18E73AFC:5c18e73afc:GWE00000000' has been added.

09:50:18.117 [DEBUG] [overy.HomematicDeviceDiscoveryService] - Finished Homematic device discovery scan on gateway '5c18e73afc'
09:50:18.118 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Starting connection tracker for gateway with id '5c18e73afc'

09:51:03.146 [WARN ] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Connection lost on gateway '5c18e73afc', cause: "No Pong received!"

09:53:48.476 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Unable to release the connection to the gateway with id '5c18e73afc': java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.client.XmlRpcClient.send(XmlRpcClient.java:147) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.client.XmlRpcClient.sendMessage(XmlRpcClient.java:81) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.client.RpcClient.release(RpcClient.java:102) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway.stopServers(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:268) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway$ConnectionTrackerThread.handleInvalidConnection(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:968) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway$ConnectionTrackerThread.run(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:931) [bundleFile:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) [?:?]
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
        at org.eclipse.jetty.client.TimeoutCompleteListener.onTimeoutExpired(TimeoutCompleteListener.java:51) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) ~[?:?]
        ... 3 more
09:53:48.507 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.server.XmlRpcServer] - Stopping XML-RPC server
09:53:48.515 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.server.XmlRpcServer] - Initializing XML-RPC server at port 9125
09:54:43.269 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.client.XmlRpcClient] - XmlRpcMessage failed, sending message again 1/3
09:54:58.272 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.client.XmlRpcClient] - XmlRpcMessage failed, sending message again 2/3
09:55:13.275 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.client.XmlRpcClient] - XmlRpcMessage failed, sending message again 3/3
09:55:28.278 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Unable to release the connection to the gateway with id '5c18e73afc': java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
        ... 3 more
09:55:28.306 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.server.XmlRpcServer] - Stopping XML-RPC server
09:55:28.324 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.server.XmlRpcServer] - Initializing XML-RPC server at port 9125

Is there anything I can help with/provide to assist in investigating the problem?

Removing the bridge thing seems to have some problems as well:

10:00:12.571 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'homematic:bridge:5c18e73afc' changed from REMOVED to UNINITIALIZED
10:00:17.531 [WARN ] [.core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Disposing handler for thing 'homematic:bridge:5c18e73afc' takes more than 5000ms.
10:00:17.537 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'homematic:bridge:5c18e73afc' changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
10:00:27.546 [DEBUG] [communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway] - Unable to release the connection to the gateway with id '5c18e73afc': java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Total timeout 15000 ms elapsed
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.communicator.AbstractHomematicGateway.dispose(AbstractHomematicGateway.java:215) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.handler.HomematicBridgeHandler.disposeInternal(HomematicBridgeHandler.java:184) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.homematic.internal.handler.HomematicBridgeHandler.dispose(HomematicBridgeHandler.java:173) [bundleFile:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:154) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:52) [bundleFile:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
        ... 3 more
10:00:27.567 [DEBUG] [rnal.communicator.server.XmlRpcServer] - Stopping XML-RPC server

The error message look like a communication problem. Either the communication problems are caused by the blocked CCU or they are causing the blocking of the CCU.

Please check first that all necessary ports are open in the firewall(s) and mapped in the Docker container definition (https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/homematic/). The binding subscribes to events sent by the CCU to ports (you can find them under “Supported Bridges”). Maybe you will also have to configure the lP address that should be used to listen for events from the CCU in the bridge configuration.

Hi Martin,

The callback ip was indeed the problem.
After adding the host ip everything worked fine.
Thank you so much for your help!

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. Always good to know that I could help :slight_smile: