Honeywell Thermostat (Local Only)?

Looking to purchase a couple of thermostats that can integrate with openHAB and be controlled and monitored via local only API / binding without the need of third party cloud service.

I am wondering if a Honeywell thermostat would meet my requirements and if so which one?

My Use Case / History
—————————————

I live in a two story home which is heated and cooled by a two zone heat pump.

My current thermostat is non-smart with only a mode button (off, cool, heat, cool & heat, emergency) fan on/auto and temperature up/down.

The heat pump heat mode when calling has 3 stages (1, 2 & auxiliary) and the cool mode when calling has, I am assuming, 2 stage.

With a new smart / connected thermostat I would like to be able to receive notifications when the thermostat status changes. For example when thermostat is calling for stage 1, 2 or 3. When the thermostat has been physically adjusted by a user. For example raise or lower temperature, change mode of or turn on or off thermostat.

Furthermore I would like to be able to control the thermostat remotely via openHAB and customs scripts WITHOUT requiring a cloud service.

Thanks for the anticipated feedback and suggestions.

I can’t help you with Honeywall products. However, I’ll throw this into the mix. I’ve been using the GoControl thermostat via Zwave and it does just about everything you ask for.

https://www.gocontrol.com/detail.php?productId=3

With a new smart / connected thermostat I would like to be able to receive notifications when the thermostat status changes. For example when thermostat is calling for stage 1, 2 or 3. When the thermostat has been physically adjusted by a user. For example raise or lower temperature, change mode of or turn on or off thermostat.

Getting a notification on a change in the thermostat would require only a simple rule to be applied. If you want to be able to tell if it was a user who manually made the change (as opposed to a change made programmatically, e.g., on a schedule) I don’t think there is a direct way to do that. However, if your OH rules only adjust the thermostat at specified times of the day, then any other change can be assumed to be a manual one.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would agree with a Z-Wave thermostat. Most branded thermostats don’t have local api’s. Integration is usually alright but most of these companies probably wouldn’t know where to start with making them local or care to for that matter. I have used a few z-wave thermostats and the Trane xl624 is my favorite so far. I believe there is a hack with using home kit functionality in regards to local control on some thermostats like ecobee but I am not well versed in that aspect (I have just heard talks of doing this).