How do I do I turn on my AV receiver with LIRC and the Alexa binding

I’m a fairly new openhab 3 user. I have LIRC setup and I can send and receive commands. Now I’m trying to create some sort of receiver item that I can control. The example from the LIRC documentaiton is very basic.

String Remote_AVReceiver { channel="lirc:remote:local:Onkyo_RC_799M:transmit" }

And there is a script example. But what I need is a switch for power and mute, input selection, etc.

I think need to create an equipment item and then a set of points I control with LIRC. I’m lost on how to proceed.

What exactly would you like to achieve ? May be I do not read enough between the lines.

• The headline refers to Alexa binding - the content does not say anything about it.
  • would you like to receive LIRC commands and then send other LIRC commands ?
  • would you like to receive LIRC commands and then switch on the related hardware/equipment via network ?
  • would you like to receive LIRC commands and then control an other binding ?
  • would you like to receive LIRC commands and then control an openhab item ?

What exactly would you like to achieve ? May be I do not read enough between the lines.

• The headline refers to Alexa binding - the content does not say anything about it.

See Below

• would you like to receive LIRC commands and then send other LIRC commands ?

Might be interesting later but telling Alexa “turn receiver on” and having that issue LIRC KEY_POWER is the thing I’m interested in first.

• would you like to receive LIRC commands and then switch on the related hardware/equipment via network ?

That is interesting. I think that would be done with rules correct? I’m more interested in the sending IR commands right now.

• would you like to receive LIRC commands and then control an other binding ?
  • would you like to receive LIRC commands and then control an openhab item ?

More interestd in the other direction. Creating a openhab item that can be controlled by other plugins. Not sure if this is a switch that is not connected to any channel and connected to LIRC via a rule. I guess there are a couple was to go. The switches for power and mute are probably pretty easy. Doing a string input selector that has a list of allowed values is harder. Also doing a volume slider without feedback of what the current volume is will also be a challenge.

I have a newer receiver that supports denonmarantz in another room that I control from alexa and I would like a similar experience with this older receiver and LIRC. Here is what the newer receiver looks like.

I would try something like:

• create an item that e.g. holds a number
  • create different functions in the alexa skill that sets a specific value in the item based on a specific sentence
  • create a rule that send LIRC commands based on the value that the item was changed to

This project also may work but requires additional stuff to be setup …

The Alexa LIRC Entertainment Remote project you are refering to looks like it is converting a LIRC to MQTT using this Node.js app GitHub - bbtinkerer/AlexaLirc: Alexa Node.js frontend to LIRC. If I convert to MQTT I would prever to run it through openhab then use the alexa binding that way. Since openhab alreay has a LIRC binding seems better to skip the MQTT translation.

BTW I found these circuits on AliExpress that work well with Raspberry Pi. Key thing is the emitter has a transistor which amplifies GPIO signal to the LED. Other circuits I’ve seen on Amazon do not have transistors on them. Anyway this save all the trouble of soldering your own circuit.