How I have automated my lights

All you have to do is define the item in your .items file. It will then become an item in openHAB that functions just like any other dimmer (apart from not interacting with any real-world device because it doesn’t have a channel defined in the item).

okay… i understand now thanks for your quick reply

okay… good tip i am going to read it

Hi @rlkoshak do you know of a design pattern (or feature) specifically for the function to “override” the motion sensor if ever a light is turned on manually. Currently I have setup rules that work if motion is detected but would like to specify them to run e.g. Only If the light has not been triggered manually. Am on OH3.

See Design Pattern: Manual Trigger Detection. While more involved, the proxy Item approach is the most full proof.

1 Like

I am using a proxy item therefore. If a lights get activated by motion sensor, it puts an proxy item ‘activated by motion sensor’ to ON. If a lights is switched off, the proxy item is updated to OFF.
After a timer has finished, it checks, if the proxy item is still ON. If not, it does not switch off the light, because it has to be switched on manually.

So if a lights was activated by a motion sensor, you can just switch it off an on again, an it will not be overridden by the motion sensor.